Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Alphabetolympics pre-topic

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: November 21, 2009 (10:19 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Anyone interested in judging the next Alphabetolympics?

Anyone interested in running it? I will, if no one else wants to.

Any suggestions for what the end date should be?

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: November 21, 2009 (10:51 PM)

If you want I can run it since I did so for the past few years and it isn't a problem to me. I kind of want to enter so I have an excuse to write a review but I'll judge if that is necessary.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 22, 2009 (05:44 AM)

I love the Alphas just on principle, so I'll probably try to write for it this time. Depends on when the contest deadline is and such. I hope we get more interested people, though... Filling up all the spots seems to become increasingly difficult each year. =/

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: November 22, 2009 (06:08 AM)

I'll judge. But I won't compile the results.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: November 22, 2009 (12:00 PM)

I'm interested in PARTICIPATING. I still haven't won this one yet and will continue to enter it until I've either won it or died a pathetic failure who never deserved to live in the first place.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: radicaldreamer
Posted: November 22, 2009 (01:29 PM)

I'm interested in participating but need more info on the time frame.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: November 22, 2009 (01:47 PM)

I would like to judge.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Posted: November 22, 2009 (02:21 PM)

Since it looks like I'm running this again...

RD: Signup/rules topic will be up around Thanksgiving (Thursday), give or take a day. Deadline will be around New Year's, giving participants roughly five weeks. This is one slack week, a week to pick out the game, 2 weeks to play it, and a week to write the review.

Jerec gets first dibs on judging if he wants to since he's been judging it for the past few years, though we still need two more. Or three if he's not interested.

board icon
Posted: November 22, 2009 (02:29 PM)

Also there are twenty seven spots to fill up and it looks like we'll be short. So now is the time to inform people who aren't around as much as they used to be.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: November 22, 2009 (02:31 PM)

Well, we managed to run a full TT with a couple of people to spare, so I wouldn't be surprised if we fill the slots for the Alphas. Might take a little work to get everyone rounded up, though.

Anyway, sign me up as a participant. Or, I guess if sign-ups happen later, mark me as "interested."

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: radicaldreamer
Posted: November 22, 2009 (02:33 PM)

Yeah that time frame may be a little difficult for me since I still have school and finals until December 19th, although I have literally nothing from then until New Years. I should probably just go ahead and sign up since it may be difficult even getting 27 people.

Definitely message anyone who participated (or wanted to participate but didn't get to) in the TT.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 22, 2009 (02:43 PM)

I'm more worried about these 27 spots actually showing up... Last year we missed like 10 people who didn't show.

Anyway, we already have 2-3 judges. Felix and randxian already expressed interest in that. There may have been one more also that I missed. So that spot's still open to jerec.

EDIT: Sportsman, can you archive Brevity 4 please?

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: November 22, 2009 (02:49 PM)

Maybe now would be a good time to inquire as to just what the hell this contest consists of.

I'll still judge regardless, unless Jerec or some other veteran wants the position.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 22, 2009 (02:50 PM)

I'd like to give it a shot. I think maybe I can get something written in the timeline stated. Whether or not that actually proves to be the case depends on the letter I get, but consider me at least interested. ;-)

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: November 22, 2009 (02:53 PM)

Nevermind, Felix explained how this contest works. I'm good.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Posted: November 22, 2009 (02:54 PM)

Sportsman, Rand and I have declared our interest to judge. If you don't mind, I can get the sign-up topic started for you, that way if you'd rather play than critique, you don't have to.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: November 22, 2009 (02:58 PM)

I'd like to judge. I can compile results if need be.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: November 22, 2009 (03:01 PM)

I will participate, unless I don't.

EDIT: Sportsman, when you archive Brevity 4, could you give me 40 extra points? Historical accuracy be damned -- I just want to win!

//Zig

board icon
Posted: November 22, 2009 (03:03 PM)

Imagine, a Jayhawk, a Hoosier, and Boilermaker acting as triumvirate of adjudication. I think this is a strong foundation, even if inner turmoil exists thanks to the Old Oaken Bucket!!

board icon
Posted: November 22, 2009 (08:49 PM)

Didn't even know the Brevity or Bust results were posted haha. Guess this gives me a better reason to give Zig +40 points. ;)

Felix: If you want to create the topic go ahead. Just let me create the follow up topic so I can edit it unless you're willing to run this thing. All I ask is you put the rules in the sign ups as well as a note for people not to enter unless they're willing to commit to this since there's a finite number of reserved spots. Also HG mail me the letter assignments once I pick.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: November 22, 2009 (11:06 PM)

So nice of you to leave a judging spot open to me, but I think I'll compete this time. I've had a decent track record of actually showing up to contests recently (though my actual performance in them has been questionable).

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: November 23, 2009 (02:52 PM)

If the deadline is before the first weekend in January then I can judge. Unless you already have enough judges (didnt read the whole topic).

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: November 23, 2009 (03:53 PM)

Pardon my ignorance but what is Alphabetolympics?

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Posted: November 23, 2009 (04:28 PM)

Basically you're a assigned a letter and you have to review a game beginning with that letter. More in-depth details will be given in the signup topic.

Speaking about that, if Janus is to judge we should make the deadline around Christmas, which means sign ups should start in the next few days. So Felix, whenever you're ready.

board icon
Posted: November 23, 2009 (04:40 PM)

I think I've got it under control.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.