Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > LowerStreetBlues's Antarctic Adventure review

This thread is in response to a review for Antarctic Adventure on the Colecovision. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 15, 2009 (11:37 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This is... a really good review. You tie history in seamlessly with a discussion about the game mechanics. Story is the most important tool we have in teaching others. You use it well.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: November 22, 2009 (07:29 AM)

Hm. I'm ambivalent about the history lesson. On one hand, I'm glad to
see you were willing to go the extra mile and do some research in an attempt to educate us readers. On other other hand, I feel like this disrupts the flow of the review. Your intro starts fine with a general overview of the game. Then all of a sudden you slam on the brakes and launch into LCD gaming 101. It just doesn't feel right.

However, you do recover a bit by providing vivid descriptions of the graphics and game mechanics. It's obvious you put a lot of time and effort into describing such an obscure game.

I also found a few awkward sentences. For example, "Sea lions don't appear on the horizon; the fishing holes they pop out of approach, and the player must take his chances." I assume this means the sea lions pop out of holes as you, the player, approach said holes.

Overall, this reads like a mediocre review with a lot of potential. Fit your history lesson in a little more casually and this could be a great review.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: LowerStreetBlues
Posted: November 22, 2009 (10:40 AM)

Cool. I'll do better next time.

My message board signature!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.