Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's X Com: Terror from the Deep review

This thread is in response to a review for X-COM: Terror from the Deep on the PlayStation. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 06, 2009 (11:36 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

You disappoint me. I go to the trouble of pointing out typos on AIM and still no fixes. =P That's OK; I'll just assume you crashed... Though I probably pointed them out when you first wrote this, too; oh well.

Anyway, this is probably one of my favorite X-Com reviews from you, if not the favorite. Of course, to compare appropriately, I'd have to go back and read all of them as I've not read some in years, but still.

Anyway, what I like so much here is how awesome you make the game sound. You don't necessarily focus on the strategy aspect of the game, and that's fine, because you focus instead on the sense of urgency involved, which, in its own way, implies strategy. The way you describe the different invading aliens and their abilities sounds really cool, and I get a real sense of what they do and what they look like. Like, the way you describe the tentaculat's ability to infect people is just badass, though it did leave me wondering... Do the infected people turn into a completely different unit, of sorts, then? Because it sounds like they're a lot stronger than any typical unit that's being turned in the first place. So it just sounds like they mutate and become something else instead of just keeping whatever strengths / weaknesses they had and just turning against your own guys. haha.

Either way, it's really badass and probably makes me want to play this game more than any of the other X-Com titles out there.

Sonic cannons that melt steel... haha. That's just awesome.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: November 07, 2009 (04:54 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Jokes on you! I fixed them up eventually! I had to run last night, so it joined my ever-growing list of things to do.

I'm glad you spotted the Sonic Cannon melting line. It was a nerdy trap along with using swimmingly as a disguised pun. You missed that one, though!

I really need to stop reviewing XCOM over and over again. I decided that I should get the PSX versions sorted because, once upon a time, we had the ability to strecth our reviews over platforms, and both my XCom games served on both the PC and PSX. This was one day taken away without notice, as such things here are often wont to do, so I felt I should get something up to replace them. I'm glad it came out well!

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.