Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Woodybeaver's Order of War review

This thread is in response to a review for Order of War on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: November 04, 2009 (08:44 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I didn't like this review. It has a lot of grammar mistakes and doesn't tell me how this game is similar to or different from other RTS games. Sometimes I didn't understand what you were saying. It's also really short. You need to spend more time on your writing. Based on this, I'm not at all convinced that it deserves a 9.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Woodybeaver
Posted: November 05, 2009 (01:06 AM)

I understand that you think that you are a professional reviewer, but I'm not - I'm a gamer. I don't bother that my review is too short for you or has grammar nuances. This is a USER review, I'm simply sharing with you my thoughts about the game that I've played recently. You didn't understand why this game is different from others? Let me say it again for you:

- it is much more massive in scales than others
- it has no micromanagement so the player may focus completely on warfare
- this is the first WWII RTS that used cinematic camera feature
- this game allows playing as Germans
- it offers much space for tactics, there's no only one correct solution to win
- and so on and so forth

Everything is clear now?

We are never so happy or unhappy as we imagine...blah blah blah

board icon
Posted: November 05, 2009 (03:37 AM)

It's not about "professional" versus "user" review, it's about writing well. When I read any review on the site, including user reviews, I expect a certain level of competence.

- it is much more massive in scales than others

Your review does not say it's more massive in scale than others. What you do say is that it has "scale" because it looks "not bad" and you can control hundred or thousands of troops (which is a good point), even though the lack of fog of war is "sad" and the developers omitted "management and production". But then after saying management was omitted, you say that you command hundreds or thousands of units! How can you command units if it's impossible to manage them? What do you really mean here?

- it has no micromanagement so the player may focus completely on warfare
- this is the first WWII RTS that used cinematic camera feature
- this game allows playing as Germans

Your review does not say any of these things. They would be good things to write about (and the first point would help explain my question about "managing units"). You do say the cinematic camera is the game's one-of-a-kind feature, but that could simply mean that the camera is somehow different from other cinematic cameras. I've played non-RTS WWII strategy games with cinematic cameras, so what you've written in the review does not make me think "this is the only WWII RTS with a cinematic camera". There are also a lot of definitions of what makes a camera "cinematic". Explaining more about it would be useful... and since it sounds like one of the game's strong points, it would help justify the final score. As for the Germans bit, you never say that in the review.

- it offers much space for tactics, there's no only one correct solution to win

This is true of every RTS I've ever played. It's true of every strategy or tactical game in general that I've played. I don't know why you're saying this is special. I suspect that what you mean and what you've written are two different things, or perhaps you just need to explain this point better. Are there multiple goals that can end a mission? Are there multiple worthwhile tactics, as opposed to just one worthwhile tactic? Again, how is this really different from other RTS games?

As for grammar "nuances", here are some of the significant grammar errors you made:
I consider myself an ordinary gamer with interest in shooters
Still however, developers’ simplistic approach doesn’t hurt
Graphics is not bad
Movies between the missions are extremely beautiful, top notch ones
Still some scenes captured are senseless
This is simply unforgettable feeling
The game offers much space for tactics, there’s no.....
OOW is historically correct game
I believe it deserves it, very decent thing

In a review this short, that's a lot of mistakes. And they're more than "nuances".

All reviews posted on the site are open to feedback, whether it's a staff or user review. You're free to say that you "don't bother that my review is too short for you or has grammar nuances", and I'm free to call you out for writing a bad review.

I can understand being defensive when your points are questioned. But to actually say that you don't care if the review was too short and that you don't care about grammar "nuances"? This isn't like you wrote a decent review that I happen to disagree with. You wrote a bad review. You NEED to improve -- dramatically -- if you hope to get anything else posted in the future.

If you really don't care whether people understand or believe your opinions, then you should reconsider whether you're prepared to express those opinions. Not just here, but anywhere in life -- the opinions that matter are the opinions that are explained clearly.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: November 05, 2009 (07:49 AM)

ITT: Woodybeaver misses the point.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Posted: November 06, 2009 (01:36 AM)

Thank you, my sensei)). But I don't really understand what you want from me. Probably, you want everything you read to be flawless and irreproachable. But this is not my problem! I played the game, I liked it and I wanted to share my views on it. I couldn't even imagine that someone like you would start teaching me! If you think my USER review (my thoughts, my emotions just after finishing it) is trash, give a try to this cool game and write your own! This is not a literature-lovers club or is it? If you want to discuss the game, let's discuss the game but not my writing style!

board icon
Posted: November 06, 2009 (01:58 AM)

Talking about management I meant that there’s no building, recharging, repairing production and so on. You command your huge forces without bothering about any kind of management or maintenance or technical support and other stuff like this. You got the idea? Did you get the idea, sensei? Now to cinematic camera… This is a very cool feature (do you like the word “cool”, by the way?). During any moment of the battle, you can switch this function and observe the battle through the eyes of a camera man from different angles. This looks very impressive. I’m completely open to conversation and always ready to answer to your questions ;).

board icon
Posted: November 06, 2009 (02:44 AM)

How you express your opinions is just as important as those opinions themselves.

Also, there's an Edit Post button. I invite you to use it.

- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Posted: November 06, 2009 (03:23 AM)

blah blah blah. Why are you so boring? This website is about games, right? People come here to discuss games or maybe I'm wrong? I'm really pleased with all this attention to my modest personality and my writing style, but I would prefer to discuss the game itself. Not me. I think it is reasonable if regarding this certain website and this certain thread.

There's common sense. So I invite you to use it.

board icon
Posted: November 06, 2009 (05:12 AM)

This is a feedback thread for a review submission. Discussing the game would be off-topic, there's a forum for that.

- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Posted: November 06, 2009 (05:49 AM)

Oh yeah, I got it. You're here to trash the reviews of others. Alright then, we will not see eye to eye on this if so.

board icon
Posted: November 06, 2009 (06:23 AM)

There is no trashing going on here. What there is is Zig offering a critique, and you flailing about because somebody disagrees with you on the internet. If you are so unable to take criticism then perhaps you should reconsider writing reviews.

- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Posted: November 06, 2009 (07:17 AM)

I never considered writing professional reviews. I just wanted to share my thoughts about the new great game I played. Is this forbidden in case my user review is disliked by Zig? I don't think so. My review represents my opinion on a game, I didn't have an intention to create a standard professional review.

board icon
Posted: November 06, 2009 (09:58 AM)

Woodybeaver, whether or not you pursue professional writing doesn't matter to me. I was "teaching" you as a polite way to make a point. I will make the point more explicitly:

HG has a high quality bar for user reviews, and over 6000 reviews successfully meet that high standard. If you submit more reviews like this, they will almost certainly be rejected.

If you want people to see your thoughts, then you will need to improve your writing or post your reviews on sites like Amazon with lower standards. That's fine. You don't have to improve your writing, but you have to improve if you want your reviews posted here.

EDIT: removed the rude paragraph because I'm not irritated anymore, but if you think my complaints are about "writing style" then this really isn't the right site for your reviews. Feel free to use the "rate a game" feature or post thoughts in your blog, though. That way you're not subject to the same content standards as a full-blown review, and people are more likely to talk about the game instead of your writing.

//Zig

board icon
Author: radicaldreamer
Posted: November 11, 2009 (04:33 PM)

I know I'm late and by now every one here has probably moved on. Yes, this is a website about games, so people discuss games here. However, it is also a website about writing, so people also come here to get feedback and learn how to develop this extremely useful skill. This emphasis on writing is one of the major things separates this website from GameFAQs and Amazon. You can only stand to benefit by calming down and considering some of the suggestions given.

board icon
Posted: November 12, 2009 (07:39 AM)

I am really calm. At least I am glad that you're not indefferent. Thnx everybody for your reasonable concerns and suggestions.

board icon
Posted: November 12, 2009 (07:42 AM)

And one more thing if u don't mind: how can I discuss games on these forums when almost all of them are unavailable?!

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: November 12, 2009 (10:30 AM)

They're available. That's just what it says when no topic has been posted in them. Just click on the forum title and it'll take you to a blank forum page. Then click "Create New Topic"

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: November 12, 2009 (11:35 AM)

Zig is mean. :(

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: November 12, 2009 (11:56 AM)

Because traffic on the forums isn't as significant as it could be, game-specific forums currently lead to the forum for the related console. For example, clicking on the forum link from Order of War should take you to the PC game discussion forums, where you are encouraged to start a topic relating to Order of War. Then Order of War fans--and PC gamers in general--can respond and worthwhile discussion is more likely to take place. Game-specific forums can return as the forums grow in size.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: November 13, 2009 (01:48 AM)

Alright then, and what should I do if I want to start the discussion about war RTSs? You know, like Order of War, Company of Heroes, World in Conflict, Men of War and others?

board icon
Posted: November 13, 2009 (08:52 AM)

The same thing.

- Nero Wolfe

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.