Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > BELISARIOS's Miracle Girls (Import) review

This thread is in response to an article about on the . You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: May 28, 2008 (07:12 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I think you're trying to tell us something with this review. You're a man, you claim, but otherworldly forces beg to differ. I got a few laughs out of this one.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: May 28, 2008 (02:48 PM)

I don't think reviewing or (god forbid) liking a game that embodies typical feminine stereotypes is emasculating. The game doesn't emasculate the player, but your review does by gendering it the way you do.

I guess that's more of a complaint against western society than of your review though. I liked the rest of the review!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: BELISARIOS
Posted: May 29, 2008 (09:37 AM)

Thanks for the comments, friends.

I suppose I wasn't clear in explaining why I felt emasculated. There's nothing wrong with liking a game that doesn't cater to men, I agree with that. But I felt so weak after playing this game because it its presentation was just so sugary and sweet. And since the game wasn't particularly good, it would have been nicer if Takara (they made it) would have spent less time with the gloss and more time with mechanics.

So, I felt emasculated because the developers realized that the best way to apologize for the game's shortcomings was to make things as girly as possible. With that being the case, that's how I felt emasculated. The game just grabbed me and forced me to wear a dress.

It's like jazz music born from the souls of men!

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: May 29, 2008 (11:29 AM)

I guess my point is that it isn't "girly," it's a game. Things in and of themselves aren't exclusive to one gender, they're made so when they are assigned a gender by its users, as your review does by suggesting that X quality is feminizing.

But I digress completely.

I do agree with your point that an attempt was made to mask gameplay shortcomings with a specific style, but I think if we're going to call that style "girly" then we should be prepared to call Halo phallogocentric.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: BELISARIOS
Posted: May 30, 2008 (01:39 PM)

I never thought of it that way! I think comparing Miracle Girls to Halo in terms of their target audience is very different, though. Miracle Girls is about an anime that already was aimed at young girls, so Takara probably had them in mind first when they were developing it. Halo, with its guns and aliens themes, has always been aimed more at men since its violent.

Of course that doesn't necessarily mean you have to be a girl to like Miracle Girls or a boy to like Halo.

It's like jazz music born from the souls of men!

Info | Help | Privacy Policy | Contact | Advertise | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party.Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors.