Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Mini Ninjas review

This thread is in response to a review for Mini Ninjas on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: September 26, 2009 (06:02 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Funny - I came out of Mini Ninjas will almost exactly the opposite impression. I found the slower, exploratory sections to be frequently beautiful, with a real sense for aesthetic stimulation. The action? Pretty much bland, repetitive and mundane, and what brought the game down to painfully-close-to-average for me.

I loved huge portions of it. But too much of it bored me. Such a shame, as I really wanted it to be game of the year material.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: September 27, 2009 (02:52 AM)

I guess that just goes to show how ridiculously hard gamers are to please, eh? Half of a game's potential audience will adore the very thing that the other half despises.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: September 27, 2009 (07:16 AM)

True. Though you're definitely certifiably insane for liking the boss battles. Liking the bosses, sure - they reminded me of Hayao Miyazaki's characters. But the battles themselves? Preposterous, poorly explained and painfully mundane nonsense.

I've said this a few times around the web now, but I really do get the impression Mini Ninjas didn't realise how close it was to being absolutely brilliant, and didn't trust in its own conviction enough.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: September 27, 2009 (11:09 AM)

I haven't played the game, but I always find Jason's reviews very convincing. He has a habit of naming his audience and his audience's attributes (in this case I really enjoyed the whole opening where he talks about the pacing of the game for the quarter-munching crowd) which I always find locks things in right away for me.

I think the few times we have played the same game I haven't agreed with Jason's opinion, but that's a matter of taste. When it comes to getting across his point, he really can't be knocked.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: October 01, 2009 (05:57 PM)

According to Ulrik Hauen-Limkilde IO designed the game for a younger audience (main reason there is no blood). Ulrik also said that they put a lot of detail into the game so much so that even the Samurai speak Japanese.

Anyway I liked your review, for the most part, but perhaps following the developers lead you might have made a stronger point of the fact that the game was truly designed for the 15 and younger set who have little to no experience with gaming. I think that puts the design and game in general in a different perspective.

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.