Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zigfried's Dissidia: Final Fantasy review

This thread is in response to a review for Dissidia: Final Fantasy on the PSP. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: September 22, 2009 (08:01 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I liked FFII. At least, I liked FFII when it was consolidated with FFI on the PSX release of FF Origins several years ago. I've no idea what the NES version is like. I imagine the 'newr' one has had some modification to make it smoother, though. Can't say for sure.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: September 22, 2009 (09:40 AM)

I'm going to agree with Jason here.

Yeah, right, can you imagine if I was actually like that? Squarenix are being uptight jackarses, which is nothing new. Better games like XCOM and Shining Force have been subject to fan remakes and the teams behind both commercial releases have praised their fanbase's efforts, to the point where one of the bigger and better XCOM projects was helped along by a handful of the original programmers. See, that's cool. It's being openly and charmingly humbled and flattered by the depth of love your fanbase has for your project and respecting the effort they put in at great personal cost to keep your vision alive and well. Belittling people with a lot invested in video games strike me as a questionable attitude to be held by someone owning a video game review site and by people producing the games alike. You're lucky I carry the place for you, Square hold no such luck.

In SE terms, Chrono is dead. They had rights to the name Chrono Break, but it has long, long expired in the US and more recently (though still a fair way back) in Japan. All they've done with the game is release its second almost-straight port (though I respect the fact they altered it enough to banish Cross from the canon. Even they secretly know that game is shit) and nought else. The fanbase made Square and since they're comfortable to release nothing but subpar RPGs these days, they could really do with trying to keep them on board, not forcing them to their knees and cockslapping them in the face.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: September 22, 2009 (10:47 AM)

I keep seeing comments about Square not doing anything with the Chrono Trigger franchise. Thing is, fans have no clue whether or not the Chrono Trigger franchise is dead/abandoned/etc.

If I write a book called "Clan of the Polar Bear" and have vague ideas for a sequel in my mind for 15 years, I don't want some schmuck to suddenly decide the IP is dead and write their own sequel. The only people who know whether a concept is abandoned are the creators.

I can understand the "what's the harm?" argument -- which applies whether an IP is active or not -- but fans have no right to decide what is or isn't abandoned.

Regarding companies helping fans, the nice/admirable companies will do that as long as the project looks promising (Square is anything but nice), but don't be surprised if inferior projects still get corporately squelched even by the kindest creators.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: September 22, 2009 (11:02 AM)

Frankly, I don't care if Square released Chrono Break tomorrow: there's still no need to belittle their fanbase's intelligence by claiming they won't understand which canon to follow or reward the people who invested in their vision the most by inviting them to die in a fire.

As for the last bit, I disagree. I spent a lot of time around the XCom remake (because the idea of playing that co-op on line might be the only thing in the world that'll make me truely happy) and the people there were clearly humbled and fell over themselves to help out where there could. If this is the case for XCom, a game that overshadows everything Square have done and ever will do [/clear bias] then I'll just sit back and continue to enjoy watching them shoot themselves repeatedly in the foot and sulk when they find their Phoenix Down stocks depleted.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: September 22, 2009 (01:07 PM)

Considering I am a part of the community that spent three or four years creating that now defunct Chrono Project, I somewhat resent them being compared to an annoying and disease spreading insect. Why shouldn't someone be able to present their interpretation of someone else's creative work? There was no money involved here, just some people living out a dream. If SE told me to stop writing my Chrono Fan Fic, I'd tell them to go fuck themselves (note: it's worthless sueing me because I have nothing and I intend to stay that way for my entire life).

To clear up some of the confusion, there were two Chrono projects shut down by SE. The first was Chrono Remake (link) which was a full 3D remake of the original game, started about eight years ago.

The second was created by the Chrono Compendium community and was, as Jason has pointed out, a ROM hack. But it was a project filled with a lot of love (and a little bit of ego, as is inevitable on these things). Say what you want about how good the game might've been (or not been), that's our role as reviewers after all, but I think it is undeniable that they should've been allowed to present their vision to the world, regardless.

Which isn't really to say I resent anyone's opinion, here. I actually respect the opinion of Honest Gamers more than most anyone online. But I just can't get behind a cease and desist letter. It's a commercial response to a fan base and that always sucks.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: September 22, 2009 (08:12 PM)

I can't wait to see the feedback topic after I review Chrono Trigger!

Not to spoil anything, but I thought it was quite terrible.

Anyways, we've all spent long enough talking about games that have nothing to do with my review. Well, except hmd. He's a smart guy. So, to put some closure on the ridiculous claim that Square is evil and hates their fans, I have this quote from their Japanese website:

Square Enix provides high-quality content, services, and products to help those customers create their own wonderful, unforgettable experiences, thereby allowing them to discover a happiness all their own.

So there you have it. Square believes in customers creating and discovering their own happiness.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: September 22, 2009 (09:48 PM)

I look forward to that review, even though I enjoyed Chrono Trigger. There aren't enough CT bash reviews on the internet, and in some ways the game is kind of overrated.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: September 22, 2009 (10:01 PM)

I'm kind of looking forward to it as well, because while it's very easy to imagine someone not being blown away by CT, I cannot think of a single reason why someone would hate it. Few here are as articulate as you, Zig, so it'll be interesting.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: November 06, 2009 (10:53 PM)

I chuckled a bit about how you missed certain bonuses because you cheated and made every day a Sunday on your PSP.

I like the approach used here. It's refreshing to hear from another old school Final Fantasy fan instead of some FF7 drone.

I really don't understand this whole hootinany about Square suing some fans trying to create an unofficial sequel to CT. If they were planning to make the game free for download, like most ROM hacks, then why should Square give a damn? How are they "bloodsucking" if they aren't making any money doing it?

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: November 07, 2009 (02:09 AM)

SE is very protective of their material. In case they ever get around to making another Chrono game (yeah right) they don't want the potential market to have been pre-saturated.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: November 07, 2009 (04:59 AM)

Let us all pray that day never comes.

There are some fanmade Square stuff out there, and some very good stuff to boot. I assume it was something that fell under the radar at the time.

board icon
Author: Probester
Posted: November 07, 2009 (01:16 PM)

While we're ripping on Square for not making good sequels for their other games, anyone really want more Chocobo's Dungeon or Vagrant Story? Both blow FF VII out of the water.

Zombie Survivor Journal: On hiatus, site nonsense scrapped

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.