Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > JANUS2's The Beatles: Rock Band review

This thread is in response to a review for The Beatles: Rock Band on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: September 12, 2009 (02:36 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Great review, highly deserving of review of the week. You do a really good job of pointing out the cultural interest the game will garner without forgetting that this is a game. You give a great overview of how it compares to the other titles in the series and YES! I definitely agree that Rock Band should have less AMAZING musicians and more AMAZING stars. After all, Rock and Roll started as an uncomplicated, accessible, form of music and that's the kind of music I want to attempt at such a game.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: September 13, 2009 (02:26 AM)

Hey thanks Zipp! I enjoyed writing this one so I'm glad you enjoyed reading it!

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: September 13, 2009 (01:37 PM)

Great review. It made the game sound like much more than just another rehashed music game that the market is oversaturated with.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Author: threetimes
Posted: September 14, 2009 (03:04 AM)

Fantastic review. Informative, lively and peppered with references. You answered all the questions I had about the game, as well making me feel I knew exactly what I'd be getting.

Don't panic!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: September 14, 2009 (01:21 PM)

This is an excellent review, Janus, and I'd love it if you said "Hey, I'd be willing to upgrade it to a staff review so that it can be exclusive to this site and never deleted." That would make me happy, since it's unlikely that anyone will ever do a better job covering the game. Drop me a line if you're interested.

As far as nitpicks go, I had only one:

It use the interactive form of video gaming as a means of bringing fans, young and old, together in celebration of the music and history of the band.

You're missing an 's' on "uses" right at the start of that sentence.

Aside from that one nit, this review was reviewing perfection. Well, in my humble opinion, anyway. If this were an audition, you certainly would have passed it!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: September 14, 2009 (02:01 PM)

Thanks for the nice comments, guys.

Jason, I'm happy for you to upgrade it. I fixed the error you spotted. Do I need to do anything else? Oh and do I get a big clicky picture?!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: September 14, 2009 (04:09 PM)

The review is updated and featured. Wasn't that fast? If you have a short little summary for your review to go in the box next to the score (under 250 characters in length, including any HTML), post it here and someone on staff can update the review. Otherwise, you're done. Thanks!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: September 14, 2009 (04:19 PM)

Guess it's out of the running for RotW now? >_>

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: September 14, 2009 (05:32 PM)

Yes, jerec - you have a chance to win again. =P

Anyway, after reading this topic, I had to see what all the fuss was about, so I read the review, and I have to agree that yeah; this is pretty good stuff. I honestly can't imagine how hard it is to make a music-based game sound interesting, and that's probably why I've never written for one, but you seemed to capture everything pretty well.

Granted, I'm probably not going to go out and buy this game, even if I already had the Rockband equipment and everything. I'm just not a fan of the Beatles at all (*insert gasps and sshouts of "blasphemy" here*). But it's good to know that a single artist-based game can be pulled off to good effect.

On another note, Harmonix also made the first three Guitar Hero installments (I, II and the 80s encore thing), so I don't know how fair it is to compare Guitar Hero to Rockband just on the fact that Harmonix developed these games and not the later Guitar Hero ones. But you don't really cite this as the only reason, anyway. I just felt like pointing that out.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: September 14, 2009 (11:32 PM)

I compared it to "those branded Guitar Hero games" (GH: Aerosmith and Metallica), which were made by Neversoft (I think) after Harmonix lost control of the brand. Those titles and DJ Hero and the yearly GH updates are examples of how Activision are saturating the market with pointless titles to cash in on the Guitar Hero craze. Harmonix seem to care more about maintaining their reputation for quality, probably because music games are their thing (going right back to the excellent Frequency).

I was going to include a line telling non-Beatles fans that they wouldn't like The Beatles: Rock Band, but then I realised that would be a stupid thing to do. If you don't like The Beatles you don't like The Beatles. I can't change your mind about that.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: September 15, 2009 (01:44 AM)

Looking good. I don't do music games for single player, but if I did, this would likely be the one to win me over. My main objection to participating in GH or RB on parties is usually that I barely know any of the music - not going to be a problem with these blokes.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: September 16, 2009 (11:10 PM)

(And to whoever stuck "does it pass the audition" to it on the front page - LOL).

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: Melaisis
Posted: September 17, 2009 (05:53 AM)

I actually linked this review to a bloke I know who is forever moaning about how Rock Band is superior to Guitar Hero and he believes reviewers don't do the former justice. The fact he loved this review so much is a testament to its quality and its deserved status as a staff feature.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.