Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Because We Hate You 2009

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05] [06] [07] [08]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: October 13, 2009 (02:43 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

And it's not like they picked a bad game for me, either. It's probably a fairly good game. Just one that I didn't particularly like. And it's probably only because of the way I judged a certain Metal Slug review matchup in the TT.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: October 13, 2009 (05:28 PM)

I don't why I was given Warhawk. Maybe because of the terrible live action sequences that they were sure would offend my film making side.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: woodhouse
Posted: October 13, 2009 (07:19 PM)

I was curious how you'd actually take to that game.

Figured that. I did actually play the first 2 sublevels (and a bit of 1-3), and while I certainly appreciate bashing fatties with a 2 x 4 (12 x 48?), it took me forever cause I was awful. Maybe a little more exposition on Gene would've spurred me on; if there was any opening sequence I accidently skipped it. Perhaps I'll give it another try after We Cheer 2.

Buy -> Opium!

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: October 13, 2009 (08:27 PM)

"they're still sexier than you are" is all the exposition you need!

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: October 14, 2009 (05:02 AM)

When are results a-happenin', then?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: October 14, 2009 (08:38 AM)

it's in G-Money's hands now. he told me today.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: October 14, 2009 (03:10 PM)

Sorry kids; I wanted to do it all over last weekend because this week is crazy busy for me. I've started but unless I find the energy somewhere to sit up a portion of the night, it'll be tomorrow now.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: October 14, 2009 (06:08 PM)

SPOILERS: I didn't win.

_

board icon
Author: radicaldreamer
Posted: October 15, 2009 (01:21 AM)

Godhand is a game everyone should play and review. But then there will come a day when all that can be said about Godhand will be said and people will hate reading Godhand reviews thereafter.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: October 15, 2009 (07:24 AM)

No point. No one will beat this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBqB5LUKh8A

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: October 15, 2009 (10:34 AM)

I will play and review Godhand someday, because Radicaldreamer asked me to. I hope that day comes before the world is tired of reading Godhand reviews.*

//Zig

* this day may or may not occur before or after the day I review Utawarerumono (PS2 version) for EmP

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than SAKnibeeliberar requested its removal.

board icon
Posted: December 29, 2009 (11:55 PM)

Hey Emp, did you ever get around to sending out the reasons WHY our games were chosen? I'm still curious to see the psychology behind the whole event.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: December 30, 2009 (06:52 AM)

I think I started to write something up, but the complete lack of interest in the event never made me really want to put it at the top of my list. Now, I don't really remember. In your case, I think I wanted to give you something well out of your comfort zone while at the same time, giving you the chance to record a review of note. Warhawk is a game that was released back in the days when I was selling video games as a living and, while it had its share of haters, it also had a very vocal core group who loved it. It's also a game with little review coverage on the 'net, so I bullied you into relevance.

Few of the picks had this much thought thrown into them. A lot were about taking people out of their comfort zone (See: Woodhouse and Godhand) and others were about aiming kicks at our friends (See: DoI getting Quake every year from now until forever). Some were based on awful puns, some simply on games we'd like to see covered.

I guess it's a mixed bag of reasons, but actually getting together and picking the games is something that took literally hours. Even if you absolve the time dedicated to groin-kicking Doom 3 that occurs every EmP/Boo colab ever. Which is why it felt like a huge slap in the face when maybe 10% of the people bothered to show.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: kingcrappy
Posted: December 30, 2009 (07:35 AM)

90 people signed up? That's impressive.

board icon
Posted: December 30, 2009 (10:46 AM)

Yeah, EmP, that is too bad. It seems to be the way of most tournaments. A lot of hype and then very little turn out. Thanks for taking the time to hold it, though! I learned a lot writing that review, so your tactic worked!

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: December 30, 2009 (11:13 AM)

It is unfortunate more people didn't--I can shoulder part of the blame, as I thought your choice for me was good (I forget which Contra) as a change of pace from what I usually do.

I wound up not making the time, but I may wind up playing the game anyway. Don't know if I have the right mentality for this sort of tournament. I have a list of games I always wanted to play, and someone suggesting game X reminds me of horrendously retro game Y I never played but wanted to, and I just go on a tangent for that first. I'm bad at following orders. Ok, I'm good enough to keep my job, but I'd probably be less botherd without the whole decent-paycheck deal.

I'd be interested in a list of who got what, even the people who didn't complete their reviews.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05] [06] [07] [08]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.