Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zanzard's Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday review

This thread is in response to a review for Buck Rogers: Countdown to Doomsday on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: August 23, 2009 (11:34 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

You comparing the PC-to-Gen port and recommending the Gen reminds me of my feelings on AD&D Gold Box game Pool of Radiance and the PC-to-NES port (which isn't a surprise as isn't this game kinda a sci-fi Gold Box clone?).

After beating the NES Pool a couple of times, I tried the PC version and it was kind of jarring how, after every fight against 5 kobalds, I'd have to surf through this huge list of crap they dropped. I'd have a screen like this:

SHORT SWORD
LEATHER ARMOR
SHORT SWORD
LEATHER ARMOR
SHORT SWORD
LEATHER ARMOR
SHORT SWORD
LEATHER ARMOR
SHORT SWORD
LEATHER ARMOR
18 SILVER PIECES
79 COPPER PIECES

......of which, I'd take the coin (at least the silver, copper becomes worthless after 15 minutes of play) and leave everything else to rot. It was a lot more streamlined in the port where you didn't have the option to pick up everything down to soiled undies after killing something.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: zanzard
Posted: August 23, 2009 (12:09 PM)

You'll get a lot of that situation in the PC version too, only instead of SHORT SWORD you'll get tons of LASER PISTOL (221). The number here is the ammo left in the gun.

The thing about the PC Version is that it has stuff like Mono knifes, Halberds, Bolt Guns, Laser Rifles, Rocket Rifles, Gas Grenades, Gas Masks, Jetpacks, the Engineer Class... all of these being pretty much useless. By removing them from the game, the Genesis version kept the good stuff and left out the clutter.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: August 28, 2009 (03:25 PM)

Are you going to review the second one as well?

Interesting review, I never knew it went to the Sega. I played it on the Commodore 64 and eventually on the PC.

board icon
Posted: September 01, 2009 (07:45 AM)

Yes I am.

... you played it? If you did, then I'll know I was not the only one! :P

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: September 01, 2009 (09:56 AM)

I've always played with the idea of trying the second game.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: September 01, 2009 (10:03 AM)

Heh. I hated that in the AD&D games too. Amusing to see it still happens in the future.

However, I think Wizard's Crown/Eternal Dagger had great formulas for that. Improving your luck might help you find treasure or magic items. It made sifting through the junk a lot more fun, almost like playing the lottery.

This review gives me definite hope that the AD&D formula CAN be tweaked correctly, and it's cool they put it in space. The only game I remember doing that was Centauri Alliance, which was not wholly successful. It had creatures from different galaxies as starting races.

I'm looking forward to a review of the 2nd game too. I may not have time to go in for these games, and they'll probably be more fun than the AD&D I want to write guides/maps for. So it is good to play games (which are already vicarious) vicariously.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: September 01, 2009 (10:30 AM)

Alright lads, the second game's review is underway!

Hope you enjoy it! :)

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: September 03, 2009 (05:08 PM)

Zanzard, to answer your question yes I did play both of these games and I liked them very much (at the time) and still remember a bit about them.

I felt both of your reviews were very good and hit right at the heart of the games. Good job.

I posted this here because no one posted anything for your other review.

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Posted: September 03, 2009 (05:29 PM)

Thanks! ;)

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.