Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Doomy's X-COM: UFO Defense review

This thread is in response to a review for X-COM: UFO Defense on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: August 22, 2009 (11:35 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Very clever working the history into the gameplay. Usually history lessons in a review seem out of place, but here it works, serving as a smooth transition into talking about how the game functions.

I think on your next effort, you should take a little more care with your paragraph breaks, try to make them a little blockier as these tiny paragraphs are somewhat hard on the eyes.

Caught a quick error:

"Even today there thousands play this game"

See it? I would just take out the "there." That'll fix that one.

X-Com seems to be a very difficult game to review. Every review of it I've read seems to focus on another aspect of the game that another review DIDNT. I've read about 10 reviews for the game and its expansions, that adds up! I just get the impression that this is a HUGE game with lots of options and lots to cover.

Anyways, I look forward to your next review, Doomy! Thanks for joining the site!

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Doomy
Posted: August 22, 2009 (12:00 PM)

Ah, error fixed. My thanks.

Hmmm... I may need a better avatar. Don't remember choosing this one.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: August 22, 2009 (12:04 PM)

It's the one that appears by default if the user hasn't chosen one yet. It's easy to fix -- just click on the image and you can browse through others.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: August 22, 2009 (12:04 PM)

It's the generic first-post need-to-select-avatar pic. It's terrible so that people will be shamed into changing it quickly.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: August 22, 2009 (12:09 PM)

I see. Thanks. A quick search brought up this Guts one which will temporarily suffice. I've never actually read/seen Berserk but Zipp will know why this one stood out. ;)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: August 22, 2009 (08:07 PM)

Indeed, I do recognize this face.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: August 23, 2009 (07:57 AM)

It's worth nothing that I had to go in and edit in a lot of the line breaks in this review because it looked like this.
Where the next paragrapgh just started, making everything look like a huge block of eye-raping text.
You should avoid this if you have any pity on your reader.

Instead, you should format it more so it looks like this.

Observe the blankness in between the two lines! It is your friend.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: August 23, 2009 (02:00 PM)

Old habits die hard. I usually write for print, and if I put blank lines between each paragraph I'd get yelled at.

Still, I can adapt.

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: August 28, 2009 (03:29 PM)

Thanks for the memories. Good review about a great game ground breaking game.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.