Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > TT: WEEK 6 - RESULTS!

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: August 02, 2009 (07:59 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

And before I forget, ASchultz, your mathematical playoff previews are also a prt of ehy this TT has quite possibly been the best one. So thanks, and thanks to everyone else.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: August 02, 2009 (08:21 AM)

One more team win is all we can ask for.

Not to be contrary but...not if we can help it.

I look forward to an awesome trio of matches then! Good luck.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: August 02, 2009 (09:32 AM)

Felix, I look forward to fighting your team next week!

Oh and, uh, will does, too ^_^

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: August 02, 2009 (09:53 AM)

I look forward to facing Sashanan.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: August 02, 2009 (10:19 AM)

Team FRZ has nothing to play for but personal pride. Zig, Randxian, you guys have been great teammates.

Same to you. I really appreciate the feedback you and Zig have provided thus far. You two really helped me step up my game considerably. Let's win one more for pride. THIS ONE'S FOR GLORY!

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: August 02, 2009 (10:25 AM)

Removing the clunkiness means I have to start writing something first. :(

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Posted: August 02, 2009 (11:09 AM)

Oh, no you don't, Zig. I still recall a certain someone (read: you) making the assertion that another certain extremely attractive someone (read: me) would be going down by your hand. Now you're obligated to attempt to make it so.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: August 02, 2009 (11:11 AM)

Thanks Felix--I agree it's good to see surprises, and justifications for them. I think gimmicks have been dissected well for if they work or don't.

That being said, Team Dagoss should be on high alert that I am composing a review where I feel FULLY CONFIDENT in going off my usual modus operandi and writing A PARAGRAPH WITH JUST ONE SENTENCE. I may even write two of them!

But I'm not going to review anything from 2005 or after. That'd just be crazy.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: August 02, 2009 (03:20 PM)

It does kind of suck that the playoff lineup is set in stone when we still have one more regular season round to go, but after Team Suskie has had a couple of off weeks, I'll echo what Schultz said and assure you all that we'll be back in full force this round. I'll make sure of it.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: radicaldreamer
Posted: August 02, 2009 (04:02 PM)

I'm going to admit that I'm basically just digging through my backlog at this point. I've been working a camp job that consumes too much of my time and energy.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: August 02, 2009 (04:34 PM)

@ Jerec:
Based on what I've heard, my guess is that you'll enjoy RE5 a lot less if you play RE4 first (which is why I admitted my own failure to play part 4). If you thought that stuff sounded cool, then I would actually point you towards Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 3, if you haven't played those yet.

@ Lewis:
Thanks for the feedback. I've heard of N'Gai Croal's interview, though I've yet to read it. I don't personally place too much stock in the producer's inability to remember which country the designers visited -- the important thing is the people most closely involved at least did some research -- but I've heard that the interview does touch on some interesting points. I agree that Capcom shouldn't have been surprised by the negative reaction. If they had anticipated the reaction, then they could have better capitalized on it to create an emotionally impactful game. In a way, I think my review is a victim of the times; a contemporary RE5 review that doesn't address the race controversy would feel incomplete. But by game's end, the race aspect really doesn't impact the game positively OR negatively, so there's not much to do but ultimately dismiss it. Five years from now, I expect that retrospective RE5 reviews will either omit any mention of racism, or they'll joke about how uptight people were "when the game first came out". It'll be interesting to see how time treats the game!

@ Sportsman:
My review doesn't make a strong argument -- it kind of just lays the information out there and says "Here's what is is. I liked it, will you?" It was an unusual review in that sense, so I was curious what people would think. Glad you liked it! The ED bit was solely intended as an in-joke for HG regulars... thanks for noticing ;)

@ all three of you:
I've got something special in mind for next week. I don't know if it will be "a great review" -- it might be excellent, it might be terrible! -- but I sincerely hope you'll all get a kick out of it. Think of it as my way of saying "thanks for reading through all of these for so many weeks".

//Zig

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: August 02, 2009 (05:11 PM)

I never did play Devil May Cry, and I probably won't, now. I find it really hard to get into the previous generation's games unless I played them back then. The current gen has really spoiled me, so I'm more likely to try something new on the 360. But generally I'm not a fan of those types of games... mostly because I'm not very good at them.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: August 02, 2009 (06:02 PM)

there's always DMC4... it was ok. not bad, but not as good as DMC1 or even DMC3. Bayonetta's gonna be sick, too.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: August 02, 2009 (06:45 PM)

Well, that's kind of cool. Wasn't really expecting to win my match at all. Thanks. Shame that the rest of my team didn't do so well, though.

Anyway, congrats to everyone else. That EmP review is still my favorite of his of all time, so I'm glad that went over well.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: August 02, 2009 (08:02 PM)

Zig: I see what you were going for but in this case Emp had the more powerful and convincing argument. I liked the approach but liked Emp's better! This match (and some others) were probably closer than I made them seem.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Posted: August 02, 2009 (11:56 PM)

wolfqueen: I always believed in you.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: August 03, 2009 (07:17 AM)

Team Janus actually has a pretty good individual votes record. If only a couple of those tight matches could have swayed our way... Oh well. Maybe next year.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: turducken
Posted: August 04, 2009 (04:16 PM)

Oh. This ended.

"My father, the Emperor, had many powers of the Dark Side. But without three eyes he could never achieve perfection." - Trioculus

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.