Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > hmd's Billy Bob's Huntin' and Fishin' review

This thread is in response to a review for Billy Bob's Huntin' and Fishin' on the Game Boy Color. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: July 23, 2009 (08:36 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This is a great review. The use of pictures and commentary is sublime. (No, I'm not going to open up 'dictionary.com' to see if I'm using "sublime" correctly. My gut instinct tells me it applies here.) You take the reader into the dark underbelly of "Billy Bob" without holding their attention hostage for too long. The pictures and commentary say more than enough. You give us but a glimpse of this game which has long held your morbid curiosity, and a glimpse is all we need (or want for that matter). It's a short review, but I think the point is that time would be better invested writing and reading about great Game Boy games like the ones you listed in the last paragraph.

Good job.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 23, 2009 (09:37 PM)

I'm on the other end of skeptical. I actually thought this was a review with a lot of promise that went nowhere. It's like one long joke about the game's name and (admittedly stupid) subject without any real discussion of how the game plays. Since I can't imagine it plays well, I can't understand why this wasn't part of the bash. It ends on a grand note... too grand for the little content that actually makes up the review. I don't see how Billy Bob's fishing stopped the world from looking or playing Mario Land, Metroid 2, and all the other titles you lament. In fact, I believe the world ignored Billy Bob much the same way as you did when you were a young lad.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: July 23, 2009 (10:13 PM)

The point he was making is that games like "Billy Bob" drag down the platform as a whole, and therefore lend fire to the notion that "Game Boy" equals "garbage," which results in cool gems like "Final Fantasy Adventure" getting overlooked for being "Game Boy" titles.

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 23, 2009 (11:35 PM)

But I think for a game to truly drag down a platform, it has to be somewhat popular, or at least viable. The way that the Wii has been dragged down by having Wii Fit and a bunch of kiddie games. Or the way that the X-box got categorized as a "frat boy" machine after Halo. I seriously doubt that one ridiculous game would pull down a platform.

Especially as history has shown us that no-one remembers Billy Bob Fishin' and everyone remembers Metroid 2.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: July 23, 2009 (11:59 PM)

No one remembers Billy Bob, but everyone remembers that the Game Boy had a lot of shovelware and a couple of diamonds. Billy Bob Fishin didn't drag down the Game Boy by itself, but the fact that there were loads of titles that were just as pointless did. That's the message I got from the review anyway.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: July 24, 2009 (01:10 AM)

I played Bomberman Quest when I was a kid. I remember it being a decent Zelda clone, but I'm scared to go back and find out it sucks.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.