Ads are gone. We're using Patreon to raise funds so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > spaceworlder's Mighty Final Fight review

This thread is in response to a review for Mighty Final Fight on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 22, 2009 (05:02 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This review lacks oomph. I think the main reason for this is that it also lacks focus. You sort've throw out a lot of things about the game, but few of them carry any actual weight and are instead well known facts about Final Fight and Beat em ups in general. This line in particular highlights this:

"From time to time, barrels appear out of no where. You can break these for health pick-ups and weapons. Guy, my character of choice, can throw these nifty ninja stars. Sometimes the barrels are integrated straight into the level, and other times they’re an element of a post-boss bonus game. Busting up inanimate objects is certainly fun, I’ll give them that."

What use is this line? Why does Guy's ninja ability get thrown into this paragraph? What does this line tell us about the game other than it has power ups (not really blowing my world open here).

I would rather you had picked something that really drew YOU in about Final Fight and then expanded on that. It would've added a more personal level to the review and less of a random element.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: July 22, 2009 (06:02 PM)

I agree with pretty much everything Zipp says. There needs to be a little more depth in some areas.

One line I think could be left out is:

(Don’t you hate it when you play a game like “Double Dragon” and the enemy can duck your jump kicks but you can’t duck theirs?)

You made it clear in the previous sentences that the game lacks cheap shots, so this comparison is unecessary.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: July 22, 2009 (06:04 PM)

I guess it does lack a certain 'oomph.' One of the things about this game is that its pretty generic but not bad either. Nothing in particular really amazed me, but I also thought it did its job as an 8-bit beat 'em up. That gives me little to draw upon except the general feeling of good company.

What does this line tell us about the game other than it has power ups (not really blowing my world open here).

In retrospect, this paragraph didn't convey what I intended. I was pointing out that certain levels stop to throw a series of rolling barrels at you as obstacles, and that this is where the power-ups and weapon pick-ups can be found. It wasn't very obvious to me the first time I played the game, so I thought it would be something good to point out in the review. (My instinct was actually to avoid these things and not attack them.) I've done edits on that paragraph to convey this info a little better.

You made it clear in the previous sentences that the game lacks cheap shots, so this comparison is unecessary.

Yeah, but I like the added reinforcement. It also illustrates what I consider to be "foul play," so the reader and I are 100% on the same page.

Spaceworlder was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: psychopenguin
Posted: July 27, 2009 (12:19 AM)

I like this review, and strong conclusion, but "You can level up about five times." About five times? Why not just say 5 times?

http://backloggery.com/main.php?user=psycho_penguin

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: July 27, 2009 (07:35 AM)

You're right. I've edited out the pointless "about."

Spaceworlder was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

Site Policies & Ethics | Contact | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Mighty Final Fight is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Mighty Final Fight, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.