Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zigfried's Death Sword review

This thread is in response to a review for Death Sword on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: July 20, 2009 (05:25 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I can testify that this game, Barbarian as us Commodore 64/286 PC users called it was very popular in Europe. If anything then for that little troll/goblin like thing that always came on the field after you decapitated someone to drag the body of the opponent away, while at the same time punting it's head like a ball away.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: July 20, 2009 (10:49 AM)

I always wondered how the name confusion came about between this game and the one where you control your character with the F keys through a maze of death traps discovered only by having run into them before. Regional name switch, is it?

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: July 20, 2009 (09:22 PM)

Barbarian absolutely rocked the C64. And with killer music. They also had Maria Whittaker on the box, a move which sparked the 'babes on boxes' boom in UK+Europe. Then came stuff like the cover for Defender of the Crown, where the swooning lady seemed to be dragged earthwards by the weight of her tits, and lots of commentary about such things in magazines.

We also got the vaguely Dark Castle-ish (and ultimately, crap I think) Amiga/PC 'Barbarian' here. The two titles just had to co-exist. They had the same name in this region.

Apple II Deathsword is extremely good. No music, but it was one of the handful of 8-bit Apple II games that used double hi-res mode in game, like Rampage or Airheart. In fact those are the only three I can think of that did it.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: July 20, 2009 (09:40 PM)

The IBM version had no music. If I knew the C64 version had a great soundtrack, I probably would have mentioned the lack of ANY MUSIC AT ALL, but it was common for IBM games to have zero music back then. The days before Adlib and Soundblaster, yada yada.

//Zig

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: July 20, 2009 (10:12 PM)

It was mercy, I tell you, compared to the games that did have "music" blaring out of the internal speaker. Particularly non-optional music. But at least my XT had a physical volume slider on it - I never quite figured out why later computers no longer did.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: July 21, 2009 (01:17 AM)

Here's the C64 soundtrack as an mp3. It's one big medley. You could play the game for 6 minutes+ before it loops back to the start (so I cut the mp3 off after that point). It has many phases and transitions, and is variously in 5 and 6 time signatures. Get it while it's hot! Or more specifically, til a few days have passed and I clear my webspace up.

http://aeriae.com/Barbarian.mp3.zip

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.