Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > randxian's One Piece: Going Baseball (Import) review

This thread is in response to a review for One Piece: Going Baseball - Kaizoku Yakyuu on the Game Boy Advance. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: July 19, 2009 (10:24 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

...so that's where your blog avatar comes from!

I liked this review but would've maybe liked to read more entertaining examples about the weird characters earlier. The beginning paragraph may have parts that go to the end or maybe you can say "It doesn't matter if you're [weird character 1, 2 or 3 that does X, Y or Z.]" I'm more curious about how many players you can choose from--are there preset teams? Do pitchers tire, or can you swap them out, or shuffle positions around? Is there a league or playoff mode? Are long-term statistics kept, and do you think this could get non-baseball fans interested? How much can you adjust the difficulty and how long does it last? Is it too random? The cheerful music--is it organ music like you'd hear at a ball game? "Take Me Out to the Ball Game," even? How could the game be weirder/less weird to enhance it?

And even though you only have to choose 7 characters, that's more than some RPG's. I assume characters have several different abilities. Does the computer give any guidelines whom to pick? Or does trial and error bear out how good your choices are?

These are tough questions but if you can work them in with your entertaining descriptions, it will help the review jump a notch. As it is the game seems like something I'd like to play but I have no idea of its longevity.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: July 19, 2009 (01:05 PM)

Thanks for the feedback. The questions you posed here seem fair and probably something that should be worked in somehow.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: July 19, 2009 (03:51 PM)

This is a pretty solid review that will probably be improved by the suggestions you've already received (which I've not actually read, but I know that Andrew tends to make good points). One point I have: removing "As a matter of fact," from your review (you use it twice) would probably improve it. Those are filler words and they sort of stand out here. Since you don't seem to be stating your opinion in the remainder of each sentence, the reader is likely going to assume that it's fact and there's no reason to say that explicitly. Anyway, it's a good start to a potentially great review. Even as-is, it gets in, gets the job done and leaves me with a solid impression of how things play.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: July 19, 2009 (06:00 PM)

Thanks. I removed those phrases. You're right; it does read much better this way.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.