Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > pickhut's Confidential Mission review

This thread is in response to a review for Confidential Mission on the Dreamcast. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 18, 2009 (07:11 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

"When Confidential Mission, a standard light gun title by Hitmaker, was released, quite a number of creative games in the genre have come and gone."

I think you mean HAD come and gone.

There's a lot of little things like this in the review that make it tough to read. Like this one:

"I know what I'm describing sounds, more or less, like a Virtua Cop game, and I don't blame you for that."

Well... I hope you don't blame me for it. I didn't make the game.

Also, while I appreciate the brevity of the review, it doesn't help to sell me on a score of 7 and the conclusion that the gameplay saves what sounds like a terrible game. You're gonna have to do more explanation than that to get away with such a drastic shift in focus from "god, terrible game" to "awesome... well sort've awesome!"

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: July 18, 2009 (07:17 PM)

Whoops, never noticed that about that second sentence. I must have been drifting off when I wrote that... and all the times I read the review before submitting it.

As for the review as a whole, I think it stands up quite well. The point was that it wasn't a terribly imaginative game, but it still held up in the gameplay department, where it mattered the most. And there's really not much else to say about the game. The only possible way I could drag the review out for another few paragraphs was if I explained how a light gun game functions...

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 19, 2009 (12:13 AM)

I should have been clearer. I'm not complaining about the length, I'm complaining about what you choose to do with it. A line like:

"You really need to invest in a light gun controller just to get past them, and even then, they're tough as hell..."

... doesn't convince me that this is any kind of good game. In fact, it makes it sound like something that definitely belonged in an arcade, not on a console, and brings up disturbing memories of RE: Gun Survivor.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: July 19, 2009 (12:22 AM)

Dreamcast light gun games could be played with the controller or with the gun. All that line means is that you should really make sure to buy a gun if you want full enjoyment from the game. Challenge is a positive quality.

I agree with the review's overall assessment, although I think I found the levels more inherently exciting than Pickhut did.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: July 19, 2009 (03:56 AM)

The game gave you a gum gun to plug up gas holes -- that's inovative as hell!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: July 19, 2009 (01:03 PM)

Dreamcast light gun games co... what Zig said.

As for the gum gun, it would have been great if they let you play with it as a bonus item throughout the entire game, instead of only for just 10 seconds.

I head spaceshit noises.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.