Ads are gone. We're using Patreon to raise funds so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > spaceworlder's Shadow Dancer review

This thread is in response to a review for Shadow Dancer on the Miscellaneous. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zigfried (Mod)
Posted: July 12, 2009 (04:01 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I haven't played the arcade Shadow Dancer, so I don't know how badly you misrepresent the game. Based on your other "reviews" (I use that term loosely), I assume this piece is totally untrustworthy, but I can't really say for sure. However, I do know that the following line is rather silly:

The colors and the “texture” are all muddy, like someone smeared the screen with feces.

Exaggerated feces comparisons are soooooooo 2003. Actual description of the graphics would be more convincing than shocking hyperbole.

You nicely explain the character size and how it hampers the gameplay (although I can't say I believe you anymore) but I've no idea what you're getting at by comparing the texture to feces.

Anyways, this is a very short "review" that wastes the entire first paragraph on silly insults instead of using that short space to provide a succinct, content-rich review of the game. I see that Sho rated this game a 9, and Nash rated it a 6. I trust a single number from those two people more than I trust the entire text of this review.

//Zig

EDIT: the purpose of this post is to dispel the misconception that silence = tacit endorsement. I do not plan to post every time I read a poor "review" (a rant), nor should I need to

Unlimited Zig Works!

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: July 12, 2009 (04:31 PM)

I wonder what excuses he will pull out of his arse this time.

Wait! I think I know some of what he will say.

"I didn't explain the graphics more in detail because the graphics aren't important. The game play stinks so why should I explain what I mean by the graphics look like feces?"

"This is just my opinion. If you don't like it, then read the other reviews. I'm not going to edit anything because I describe everything so eloquently and in great detail. People should have an accurate understanding of the game just from reading my review."

"Now excuse me while I make a bunch of subtle illusions about how you picked on me in my next batch of 50 word reviews. But it's your fault for being hung up on this issue."

Gotcha covered Spaceworlder buddy. You don't even need to waste energy moving your fingers to type a reply. We already pretty much know what you're going to say. Keep pumping out those reviews. It's all about mass production man!

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Posted: July 12, 2009 (04:44 PM)

I don't care about Spaceworlder's response, and I would suggest not spending energy to argue with him. The primary purpose of my post was a one-time commentary because it sounded like he misinterpreted the lack of Shadow Dancer feedback. The secondary purpose was to say that because of his rants on game I have played, it's nearly impossible to trust his rants on games I haven't played.

The tertiary purpose was to thumb my nose at him. Because I can.

//Zig

Unlimited Zig Works!

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: July 12, 2009 (05:05 PM)

when somebody has the same opinion as you but you think their review is poorly argued, is it still trolling?

this is a rhetorical question. I'm staying out of this.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: July 12, 2009 (05:31 PM)

You nicely explain the character size and how it hampers the gameplay (although I can't say I believe you anymore) but I've no idea what you're getting at by comparing the texture to feces.

I'm evoking the image of something smeared with shit to suggest how ugly I find the game to be. I thought that would be self-explanatory. If someone played the game or looked at the screenshots, they'd probably notice the dominance of browns and grunge in the aesthetic. Glancing at HG's own "Shadow Dancer" gallery, I find a lot of the still images are very difficult to look at and visually process. It's not unlike *drumroll* looking at something that's smeared with shit!

Spaceworlder was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Posted: July 12, 2009 (06:15 PM)

Bluberry: Even though the question is rhetorical, I'll respond! No, poor arguments aren't necessarily trolling. In other threads, the meaning of "trolling" has gotten confused with "attacking games people care about". It's fine to attack games people care about. That's the nature of disagreement.

Spaceworlder's Ninja Gaiden 2 review, El Viento review, Ninja Gaiden blog, and various message board responses are flagrant attempts to make people mad. That's why they're trolling. They just happen to also be poorly argued.

You could apply the same logic to say this thread is an attempt to troll Spaceworlder, but I don't actually expect him to get upset.

//Zig

Unlimited Zig Works!

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: July 12, 2009 (06:45 PM)

The primary purpose of my post was a one-time commentary because it sounded like he misinterpreted the lack of Shadow Dancer feedback

Good point. However, anyone who makes assumptions based on lack of feedback is obviously living in La La Land. It's pretty evident from the feedback forum that NOT EVERY GAME GETS FEEDBACK.

It's common sense that people don't have time to read every single review and leave detailed comments on all of them as well.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: July 12, 2009 (07:05 PM)

Spaceworlder's Ninja Gaiden 2 review, El Viento review, Ninja Gaiden blog, and various message board responses are flagrant attempts to make people mad. That's why they're trolling.

That makes the creators of "Ninja Gaiden" and "El Viento" the biggest trollers of them all. 8-)

It's fine to attack games people care about.

But people get angry when you attack games they care about, and then they make whiny feedback threads like the one you created for "El Viento." That's the thing with throwing the 't' word around in regard to negative/bash reviews. The very nature of word "attack" has a hostility about it.

Spaceworlder was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

Site Policies & Ethics | Contact | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Shadow Dancer is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Shadow Dancer, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.