Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > spaceworlder's El Viento review

This thread is in response to an article about on the . You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: July 12, 2009 (01:34 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This topic is about a string of poor reviews where he is trolling the site by trashing popular games and picking and choosing what elements he wishes to highlight and feels are "most important" just so he can slap a 1/10 score on them.

Since I've started this new reviewing kick, I've submitted 21 new reviews to the site. Of those reviews, only five have been severely negative. Only three of those have been called out as trolling, which are the first two "Ninja Gaidens" and "El Viento." No one here seems to care about "Shadow Dancer I," so that one escaped trolling allegations. ("Shinobi" fans seem to be laid back.) There are no fans of "Back to the Future II & III" to troll, so that one doesn't count as trolling. That leaves three out of twenty-one reviews.

Those three reviews, by the way, account for less than half of the twelve or so reviews I've submitted in the past two weeks. Most of my scores have actually been above the '5/10' range. (That includes these last two weeks as well.) I would also argue that only "Ninja Gaiden I & II" are really popular. Beyond a very vocal minority, I don't think a lot of people really care or even know about "El Viento."

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: July 12, 2009 (02:04 PM)

I was about to call you out for your Shadow Dancer review, but then I realised that the Genesis version is different.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: July 12, 2009 (07:05 PM)

My review of Ocarina of Time.

"I don't like Link's hat. And he can't jump. 0/10"

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: July 12, 2009 (07:15 PM)

so does that mean as a judge, you'll actually understand where I'm coming from for giving DMC3 a 4 because Dante's nipples aren't big enough?

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: July 12, 2009 (07:36 PM)

I think Jerec's review of Ocarina of Time should win ROTW.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: July 12, 2009 (08:19 PM)

This sounds like a cool idea for a fake review tourney! Hate games for silly reasons!

Final Fantasy 7 - no, I don't like the font. 0/10
Super Mario Bros. - totally unrealistic, why is a plumber trying to save a princess from a fire breathing turtle!!? 0/10
Grand Theft Auto IV - its control is annoying but realistic 10/10

I can avoid death by not having a life.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than joseph_valencia requested its removal.

board icon
Posted: July 12, 2009 (10:00 PM)

Oh, ho!

So my review was deleted over that stupid GIF I edited into it? Ziggy boy, why didn't you drop me a line before hitting the 'delete' link? I would have gladly edited out that HTML tag. Or you could have done it yourself. Highlight and backspace.

But, I think I know why you really deleted my review. For a someone who moderates a site called "Honest Gamers," you certainly aren't very direct or honest.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: July 12, 2009 (10:02 PM)

I was going to let the reason remain private, but since you have brought it into public eye, here is the entire content of the HG mail I sent you at the time of deletion:

"The El Viento review has been deleted. You edited it to include a 2 megabyte, watermarked GIF."

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: July 12, 2009 (10:05 PM)

The gif was inserted as a further attempt to troll. It violates site guidelines. It was 2 megabytes. You abused the leniency we provide our users when editing reviews. The situation didn't deserve any additional leniency.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: July 12, 2009 (10:09 PM)

And it conveniently wiped my "1/10" off the "El Viento" page. Congrats, Zig. Spoken like a true bureaucrat.

board icon
Posted: July 12, 2009 (10:17 PM)

Yes, your violation of site guidelines and abuse of the lenience we provide to users did result in the removal of that review.

I had to delete one of your posts, too. If you're going to provide dissenting opinions, please don't violate site guidelines while doing so. By breaking rules, you're actually censoring yourself.

//Zig

board icon
Posted: July 12, 2009 (10:24 PM)

Now you're belting out canned statements. Digging the robot act, Ziggy.

//Space

board icon
Author: True
Posted: July 13, 2009 (12:15 AM)

I've obviously missed out on a lot. I had no idea Spaceworlder was the heel here.

I thought that was my job.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Posted: July 13, 2009 (05:34 AM)

I would like to use this space (no pun intended) to announce that I will publish a new "El Viento" review to replace the old one that Zigzwag murdered. In the meanwhile, funeral arrangements are being planned for the old review. Stay tuned to your local news stations for coverage of my review's shocking and sudden death, a retrospective of it's controversial but poignant life, and the ongoing investigation into the suspicious events that led to its death. A public memorial will be broadcast on Thursday, with other old reviews expected to attend.

In the meantime, here is a brief excerpt from the new review:

--iento" is a pi--

//Space

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: July 13, 2009 (07:15 PM)

Once again, I'm baffled by how Spaceworlder can honestly see himself as the victim when he did two things:

1) Violated the rules

2) Posted a image that has nothing to do with the review. Or is the kangaroo in one of the bonus stages?

You post a large image that has no bearing on the video game, taking up unecessary space for no good reason, yet cry when the mods take action. How long are you going to make a complete ass out of yourself?

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: hmd
Posted: July 13, 2009 (07:20 PM)

7/13/09 never forget ;_;

board icon
Posted: July 13, 2009 (07:32 PM)

board icon
Posted: July 13, 2009 (08:09 PM)

Forget it, HMD. It's Chinatown.

board icon
Posted: July 13, 2009 (08:27 PM)

as much as I'm trying to stay out of this, I like how everybody's babbling about rules these days. we've come a long way from GUTS making shit up about games with, what was it, "giraffe niggers"? I miss his reviews.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Posted: July 13, 2009 (08:43 PM)

can't we all just get along?

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: July 13, 2009 (10:45 PM)

Meanwhile, my Fahrenheit review still exists.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: July 14, 2009 (02:29 AM)

as much as I'm trying to stay out of this, I like how everybody's babbling about rules these days.

Spaceworlder got away with a lot. After all, his review (of the first level!) was still sitting there for people to read. But no matter how lenient we are with a review's content, there are some things that just can't be done. Posting watermarked screenshots or throwing watermarked images into reviews is one of those things. Whether the watermark is from an adult site (as in this case) or from IGN (as in the case with some other review one time), that will result in something happening. And picking an image that's two meg is just rude, especially since it had nothing to do with the game. The KOF ad is annoying enough! We were lenient, and abusing that lenience is the quickest way to lose it.

Over the site's ten-year history, you'll find some crazy experimental reviews and you'll even find some bad reviews. There's always going to be stuff like that when a site has been around this long. Interpreting guidelines and deciding to accept or reject has always been subjective, and always will be. But I assure you that "EL VIENTO MUST SCORE A 10" is not one of the rules.

...because my petition from 2006 to add that rule failed.

//Zig

board icon
Posted: July 14, 2009 (01:35 PM)

I would have backed it if I was still on staff. and haha, !@#$!it can I say anything on this website without people interpreting it as accusatory?

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Posted: July 14, 2009 (03:31 PM)

no u

//Zig

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.