Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > true's Assassin's Creed review

This thread is in response to a review for Assassin's Creed on the PlayStation 3. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: July 08, 2009 (10:03 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I can deny the game's style and ability to deliver a twisted, compelling story. It's easy! It's got the style of an overweight granny in a boob tube and the story's clearly been written by a untalented fanficer with a looser grip on history than Willis Carto. All that awful music must rot your brain.

Other than the fact you're completly wrong? Good review.

PS -- Creed'll never be the next CC!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: July 08, 2009 (11:05 AM)

Emp is right. Assasin's Creed will never be the next Chrono Cross.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: radicaldreamer
Posted: July 09, 2009 (01:52 AM)

I got a few comments.

First, it might seem like a very small semantic complaint, but I think it makes a difference: did you mean that the story has both positive and negative aspects? Saying that the story "is a mix of aspects" seems like it suggests something else, like maybe positive and negative story events. At the very least I think it's an unusual way of phrasing. The following description, while interesting, does not really clarify this statement about positive and negative.

Next, one recurring element in your writing I noticed ever since you first came here is the presence of fragments. Other people have even mentioned it, but probably haven't explained it. The one in this review is:

A device that digs deep in to your psyche and extracts them by forcing you to live out your ancestors past.

I think you do it when you use a writing technique that involves following a noun (usually an object) immediately with a definition of it, or at least that's what happened in this case. It's hard to explain very clearly what does and does not constitute a complete sentence; it's kind of something some people just know. The more grammatically correct thing to do is to join this dependent clause to the sentence before it with a comma, or sometimes a colon or semicolon. While I'm on this passage, I think it could be consolidated to something like:

...the doctor forces you back into the Animus, a device that extracts your ancestor's memories from the depths of your psyche by forcing you to relive them.

Granted, I imagine you're trying to write reviews almost weekly for TT rounds, and the time constraint results in less revision.

Last thing I have for now is the use of the word 'expectant' seemed a little jarring, I thought it could and should have just been 'expected.' Actually, I had never even heard of the word until now, so I dictionaried it to try to figure out what it means and how it's different from 'expected.' From what I gathered, it seems more for the purpose of describing the person or entity doing the expecting, and is thus more synonymous with 'expecting' than 'expected.'

Finally, I disagree and thought the ending was kind of retarded. I thought it went from medieval religious and political conspiracy to...some guy pulling DBZ powers out of his ass. Good voice acting though.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.