Ads are gone. We're using Patreon to raise funds so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > spaceworlder's Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos review

This thread is in response to a review for Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: July 06, 2009 (11:33 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This would be a good review without all the irrational anger. Your talking points are better illustrated for sure, even if some are direct rebuttals to message board posts, so nice progress.

"Better games confront you with tricky enemies."

This would be a great place for an example of a better pre-NGII game that has enemies more along the lines of what you like/expected. I'm trying to figure out why you're so dismayed by the enemies (the respawns suck, but I don't think there's a fundamental difference between NGII's drones and Contra's or Castlevania's or Super Mario Bros') and I can't quite understand from either review. Getting this point across to the reader more effectively would make both stronger.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: July 06, 2009 (11:49 AM)

Also, have you ever played Ninja Spirit? I think it's something you'd like a lot more than the Ninja Gaiden trilogy, even if similar in concept.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zigfried (Mod)
Posted: July 06, 2009 (01:55 PM)

The writing quality is shabbier, and the tone is so dismissive that it's hard to consider this a credible opinion (deriding NES music as "beeps and blips" is lame), but the few arguments you do make are fundamentally stronger.

Even with the "I wouldn't care if it were fun" disclaimer, incohence of levels is normally a weak argument (how many 8 and 16 bit games weren't incoherent?) but since you talk about the story -- and even mix a bit of it into the middle -- it's understandable for someone to expect a degree of coherence. Otherwise, why bother having a story? That's an example of completeness helping to support your case.

Although personally I think the progression from city to train to mountains makes sense. He caught the train at the edge of town and rode it all the way to the mountains. But hey, that's just my take on it.

//Zig

Unlimited Zig Works!

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: July 06, 2009 (06:06 PM)

My biggest problem is how this is obviously a continuation of the other thread.

I think transferring fights and disagreements from message board forums onto reviews is just silly.

Otherwise, I do enjoy the edgy humor. I think you could build on that if you didn't make this all about getting back at the people who "trashed" your original review.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

Site Policies & Ethics | Contact | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos is a registered trademark of its copyright holder. This site makes no claim to Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos, its characters, screenshots, artwork, music, or any intellectual property contained within. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.