Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > aschultz's Power Soukoban (Import) review

This thread is in response to a review for Power Soukoban on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: July 05, 2009 (06:32 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Enjoyed this for the most part. I like how you simultaneously compare and contrast this to Soukoban, yet provide enough description to also bring the rest of us up to speed.

Personally, I don't like your admission that you have no idea what these red tears do. I would just leave that bit out for a couple of reasons. One, if you can't tell us what they do, then that statement serves no real practical purpose. Two, that diminishes your credibility as someone who should be knowledgable about the game you are reviewing. Sure, it's a dinky item that probably doesn't amount to a hill of beans, but I still think that part should be cut.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: July 06, 2009 (08:23 PM)

Thanks randxian--I guess in every review there's always going to be the sentence that belongs there the least. Just like George Carlin discussing the worst doctor in the country.

I think this sentence may be it, but--the problem is, if half the rooms are useless and not even a decent security measure, that is valid. Can't solve a few rooms--kind of nice the game lets you slide. But when half the puzzles serve no purpose, that's a bit too much. It needs to be mentioned somehow, and maybe I just need to pick up my research to do so precisely correctly.

So for starters I'd like to mail back the folks who wrote a translation of the script of the game. Maybe they can shed some light on it.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: July 06, 2009 (08:57 PM)

Okay, now it makes a bit more sense.

Personally, I have done research when in the processing of reviewing a game. I've replayed it, looked up info on GameFAQs, and even watched videos on YouTube. I think it pays dividends when you convey to the audience that you are on expert on everything that makes this game tick.

I'm not meaning to be harsh here. I was really floored by how you managed to simultaneously and seamlessly speak to two audiences: people who have played the original in the series and people who haven't. A lot of reviewers really isolate their audience and make assumptions that people have played games in the series before, but you go the extra mile to make sure all your readers understand what's going on. I really appreciate that.

Once you get this whole red tear bit squared away, then I'll say I feel sorry for whoever has to face this review in the TT. Thank goodness I've already matched up against you and got it over with.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.