Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Valkyrie no Bouken: Toki no Kagi Densetsu (Import) review

This thread is in response to a review for Valkyrie no Bouken: Toki no Kagi Densetsu on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: July 03, 2009 (01:35 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Found this review in the "good read" upper right hand corner. They actually translated this game on romhacking.net, and GameFAQs has a walkthrough for it. I considered writing maps. But I got sort of bored, and didn't write any game stuff for a while. That usually means I wasn't willing to admit a game sucked.

I don't think it does everything wrong, but it doesn't do much right. The zodiac signs make no sense, and I think the color is interpreted as blood type. Still, I found the game to be at least a 2, maybe a 3, for as far as I got, because the dungeons are interesting, and the teleports are cool once you understand them. Funnily, this reminds me of reading your Castlequest review, which I also enjoyed, though I rated the game a bit higher.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: July 03, 2009 (02:31 PM)

After I wrote that review, I got emailed by a dude who'd been playing it a bit, too. The two of us worked together and scoured the net to figure out how to beat it. This was before that walkthrough got done on GFaqs. I started to do one for that game.....but realized I really hated playing it and that was the end of that.

Any fond memories I have of that game involves me and the other guy scanning the 'net for anything that might help us figure out the game and emailing each other our search results.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: July 06, 2009 (08:53 PM)

Congratulations on solving the untranslated version! I'm starting to wonder if someone needs a support group to solve this game, period. Some of this stuff is arbitrary, like finding the devil key fighting enemies. Or having to scour most of the map to find an item. I'm starting to see why you gave the game a 1. It is turning viciously bad. But it may yield a very cathartic bash review. It has so much wrong with it, I don't think one review can hold it without sounding bitter. I mean, I tried cheating my way through and got bogged down.

It all leaves me wondering why anyone bothered to translate this game.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.