Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > mardraum's Metroid Fusion review

This thread is in response to a review for Metroid Fusion on the Game Boy Advance. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: July 01, 2009 (11:32 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Interesting point about the game's cutscenes. I loved what Retro did with the first Prime; it was a very immersive game that used its technology to really make you feel the isolation and solitude that made Samus's character. I mean, there's no dialog in the game, but I always felt that there didn't need to be. I didn't mind Samus's narration in Fusion at the time since I liked that they were further developing the character... but you're right, the SA-X scenes were fantastic enough that you really didn't need a script to convey what Samus was feeling. Also, giving her a supporting character to converse with was absolutely the wrong move.

I'm probably never going to write a Fusion review now because you've summed up my thoughts perfectly. It's not bad, and like you said, the problem isn't that the game is too linear. It's that it's too confined, and made me feel caged in. I think Prime is still the series high point in this regard, as it actually leads you along a very linear path, but it never feels that way.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: July 02, 2009 (12:01 AM)

thank you sir. and I agree, as I said in the review I think that people who just bitch that the game was too linear and leave it at that are really missing the point.

Metroid Prime is less linear that you'd think, at least until the player's choice editions where they started adding bendezium blocks and event triggered locks all over the place for no good reason at all. I want to get the plasma beam early and go into the Phazon Mines through the back, damnit! it's still no Super, though, where you can kill Ridley first.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: July 02, 2009 (12:13 AM)

Good call giving the SA-X center stage in the review - it made the game, and my main regret was that the game could have been quite a lot better with more being stalked by it (think RE3 Nemesis style) and less plot exposition that, indeed, didn't exposit a whole lot of plot.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: July 02, 2009 (12:17 AM)

It's been so long since I've played the game that I'd forgotten about the moment when you fall through the ceiling and land right next to SA-X.

You know, Fusion came after an eight-year drought without a Metroid game, but it just occurred to me that we've gone nearly as long since without another 2D entry (disregarding Zero Mission, which was a remake). I wonder if they'll even bother making another one?

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: July 02, 2009 (12:21 AM)

I hope so. troll review aside I love Super Metroid, and the others games all at least have good ideas behind them. they could strike gold again.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: July 02, 2009 (01:10 AM)

I'd definitely be up for another 2D Metroid. Prime, from what I've tried of it, is just not something I can do.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: July 02, 2009 (10:30 AM)

Man, that game was way too linear.

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.