Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW for 6/14 to 6/20 in the year 2009.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: June 23, 2009 (04:53 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

First off, my apologies for both the lateness and the brevity of this RotW. I judged a contest last week, was away from my computer for the majority of Friday through Sunday, swamped at work yesterday and now am finding myself trying to decide if I want to finish a game I'm currently playing and review it for the TT or use one of a handful of already-written ones as my week one pick. If it's any consolation to you, this was a really good week with a lot of stuff that I enjoyed reading, making it difficult to only pick three reviews.

As for this, only one review by any one person. No staffers allowed. No arguing with me. Prepare for doom, Janus and whoever Janus' cannon-fodder teammates are. NO MERCY!!!!!

THIRD PLACE: Sonic the Hedgehog (iPhone) by JANUS2

Janus barely edges out Suskie, BELISARIOS, Bloomer, Pickhut and others with this review. I just found it a nice combination of nostalgic and informative as to the flaws. This port of Sonic seems like a very easy target for a bash review, but you never took the easy way out — instead focusing on how you loved Sonic originally; now realize the game isn't amazingly great because you've played it on so many ports, but more a part of your heart due to the nostalgia of your youth; and then go on to how disappointing this port is and how that disrupts the whole positive vibe the game's nostalgia gives you.

SECOND PLACE: Soul Blazer (SNES) by zippdementia

A few years back, I reviewed this game. From reading your review, you seem to like this game for many of the same reasons I do, but overall, your version of things comes off as more vivid — the kind of review that makes me kinda want to play it again, even though I have projects up the ass I'm working on and really would like to muster a few new reviews for the TT. You really brought up just about everything I'd want to read about this game and did so with enough humor and charm to keep things flowing smoothly. I have to admit I did chuckle out loud at your "cat/mouse" motivational poster.

OVERDRIVE PLACE: Prototype (PS3) by true

This is just an excellent review. You start with a very nice description of the intro — which does a great job of showing how you immediately got into the game. From there, you nicely transition into discussion your hero (anti-hero?) and his abilities and then go into explaining some really neat details about the game. Most specifically, how conditions in the city gradually deteriorate as you progress, showing the spread of the infection. That's a very nice touch.

Time to get to bidness, now!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: June 23, 2009 (04:56 PM)

Edged out of first place by True! Well done, True, that Prototype IS an extremely good review. It makes me want to play the game even though other reviewers have bitched about numerous issues with it. Your review is so overwhelmingly powerful that I refuse to believe the game can be bad.

Thanks for second place, OD. I'm really pleased to see (a) that the review made you want to go back to the game (b) that you actually compared it favourably to your own great review of the game and (c) that the cat/rat joke didn't fall flat.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: True
Posted: June 24, 2009 (12:55 AM)

Damn. Thanks, O.D. I didn't really expect to place on the top, but I appreciate you choosing me for such a prestigious and coveted award. This may give me the momentum I need to go in there and trump Felix.

Did you plan it that way?

Thank you, Zipp and congratulations with your review as well. I can't believe I actually scraped past you, but I'll take it none the less. I'm looking forward to the week where you and I will go head to head.

Congratulations to Janus, and everyone else who submitted. With the deadline coming up, this was a great week.

And it's only going to get better from here.

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: June 24, 2009 (01:23 PM)

True
If I was trying to plan anything, I'd have just given the win to Beli without even reading his review, as that would have to be great for MY TEAMMATE'S morale. Although, building you up for the purpose of personally crushing your esteem......that's a nifty plan, too!

Zipp
I think the one thing I liked about your SB review that puts it definitely above mine is that you maintain a good flow throughout. Mine got critiqued somewhere for something......and the person doing so made mention of something I didn't notice when typing it, but now can't help but not notice. After the fourth.....or fifth paragraph, I go from a conversational, personable style of writing to a more analytical "by-the-books" style with no segueway, making it kinda feel like it's parts of two reviews of the game put together. With your review, everything flows together nicely.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: June 24, 2009 (01:31 PM)

Thank you for the mention overdrive and congrats to true and zipp. I haven't read those reviews but I will go and do so now!

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: drella
Posted: June 24, 2009 (07:35 PM)

I just read Prototype as I was checking out some of the team tournament selections. Excellent review, True.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: June 25, 2009 (12:03 AM)

Thanks, Drella.

board icon
Posted: June 27, 2009 (06:40 PM)

Can I get my points for this, by the way?

D.O.N.E.

Thank you, Ninja Staff Person.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.