Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW 5/4/08 - 5/10/08 -- You're all winners

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: May 11, 2008 (07:05 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This is odd. Those of you familiar with our Review of the Week system know that no matter how many reviews a person subs in a given week, he or she can only earn one mention in that RotW. Well, this past week has presented us with the work of a mere three reviewers for a grand total of four reviews. Which means that all three people must be mentioned, regardless of quality. Had our old friend Wolverinefan been one of those people, he would have scored a spot. And I'd have told him the truth: That he got a mention only out of necessity, and not because he has any discernible talent. Because he doesn't.

Anyway. I suppose the overall lack of content I have to deal with can be attributed to OD's comp (which featured a whopping seven entries), or we could blame it on the fact that staff reviews are not eligible. Either way, this was a very light week and I hope -- no, demand -- that my next RotW be a little more engrossing.

SPOILER ALERT: Felix will appear on this list.

Review of the Week: Grand Theft Auto IV (X360) by Felix_Arabia

Easily the most complete and relevant of this week's reviews, as you tackle a game that just released and offers a lot to talk about. This review seems to cater specifically to those familiar with the GTA series, as you spend a lot of time explaining the various additions the game makes to its predecessors, such as the cell phone, the internet, dating, etc. Works for me, but I can imagine those who have never played GTA getting a little lost in all this minor details. I'd cut back a bit on such content and elaborate a little more on the specific examples that you simply skim over, such as the warehouse shootout or the hospital mission. Get more into the core of the game, you know? My only other suggestion is to revise your intro paragraph, which came off feeling pretty generic-sounding and didn't quite pull me in. Otherwise, your strong reviewing voice and struggle to nail all the important aspects of GTA IV made this an easy read despite its length, and since I'm playing through the game right now as well, I found myself nodding. Good work.

First Runner Up: Prism: Light the Way (DS) by darkstarripclaw

Not much to say about this one. Puzzle games aren't very interesting to read about by default, so it's a good thing you kept this one brief and told us only what we need to know, by explaining how the game works, what's wrong with it, and why it might still be worth your money if you're into stuff like this. My only real complaint is that you might want to incorporate your coverage of the game's flaws more naturally into the structure of your review rather than slapping a generic "but the game has a few flaws" paragraph on at the end. This isn't the most exciting review around but it's solid work nonetheless.

Second Runner Up: Metal Slug 3 (Arcade) by Credit_Card

No one could ever make the argument that your reviews lack personality. In fact, I usually think the opposite: That you're trying too hard to come off as energetic and witty, and usually just wind up sounding like a guy who can't be taken seriously. This is most evident in your often juvenile and excessive use of profanity. You would have placed on this list regardless, so at least I'm glad to see that this review is a noticeable improvement over your previous work. Your attitude still kind of bugs me, though. It often felt like you were talking down to me, as if to say I'm an idiot if I don't agree with what you're saying. DE was also right about the review being too long, though I can't say it was ever boring to read. You've definitely got the enthusiasm to sell me on why Metal Slug 3 is so great. Whether or not I want to be taking the advice of the guy writing this is a different story altogether.

Congrats to the winners. You've earned it... I guess.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: Genj
Posted: May 11, 2008 (08:27 PM)

Congrats to felix on the win. Even if he had to review some lame MAINSTREAM game (yuck!).

_

board icon
Author: darkstarripclaw
Posted: May 11, 2008 (09:44 PM)

Thanks for the placement (although I guess that was mandatory, given circumstances).

In regards to the awkward positioning of my critique of its flaws, I must agree. Part of the reason for putting it where it is was something I pointed out in the review - the gameplay itself is not flawed, but the game built around it is lacking. I was trying to combine the two points at the time, had a difficult time, and ended up separating it.

For shortness and solidness, I take that as a compliment ;). I cannot ever imagine myself as trying to compel emotion out of a review, as it is not really something of my philosophy, so I try to do a damn good job of still getting my reader interested, filling him or her on what the game is about, giving my critical thoughts on the game, and getting out with a conclusion with a resolution before it drags on too long.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: May 11, 2008 (10:01 PM)

Thanks for the win.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: Credit_Card
Posted: May 12, 2008 (12:55 PM)

I tell it like I see it. That's the way it should be. Thanks for reading.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: May 13, 2008 (09:32 AM)

Wow... Sorry guys. I would've had one up last week, but moving out circumstances and all that (read blog) prevented me from doing so. ...plus technically I didn't finish the review until Sunday. >_>

Congrats to the winners nonetheless. Light as it was. There was still competition for ranking, anyway.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.