Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's R-Type Command review

This thread is in response to a review for R-Type Command on the PSP. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: guts
Posted: May 07, 2008 (10:39 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Ugh the load times sound awful, and I was really looking forward to this title. Were you playing on a slim or fat psp? Also were you using the full 333 cpu speed or is your system unmodified?

Not sure how to make a nig? You can edit it and your other pubic and privates information from your realm.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: May 07, 2008 (10:49 PM)

I'm using the original 'fat' PSP and it has not been modified. The game comes with the firmware update of 3.80 or 3.82 (I forget which one, but I think it's the latter) to run it.

You should know by now that I don't modify my systems, Geo!

The load times are fairly bad, but you also get used to them. Like I said, the animations can be turned off which helps. Those trigger a 5 to 6 second pause if you leave them active, repeated a few times per turn on the busier maps (you can set them to appear randomly, all the time or not at all).

When enemies move, you're sometimes waiting around 35 to 40 seconds for later maps. Earlier ones with fewer adversaries aren't as bad, it didn't seem like. As you clear off enemies toward the end of a given battle, things improve a lot.

All of that stuff doesn't stop it from being a really good game that I think a lot of people will enjoy if they give it a chance, but I didn't feel good about scoring the game any higher because those issues never fade away entirely (plus as noted, the story really is presented poorly).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: May 08, 2008 (02:37 PM)

You should upgrade to a slim PSP at some point, it really does help quite a bit with load times. I'm glad you replied- your review was pretty harsh, I was expecting a 5 or so for the score since the load times and bad AI sounded really obnoxious. I'll probably pick it up now, you make it sound a bit better here.

Not sure how to make a nig? You can edit it and your other pubic and privates information from your realm.

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: May 09, 2008 (08:41 AM)

Good review Venter. Like Guts, I was a bit thrown off by your score and summary. I rather got the impression that the slow gameplay turned you off enough that you wouldn't recommend the game. But you close the review saying it's a good game. I'll probably pass anyway, since it's not really R-Type, and I hate long loading times. Incidentally, how's the music? Any remixed classics?

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Posted: May 11, 2008 (10:54 PM)

Yeah that's a good question, the stage one theme of R-Type is probably one of my favorite video game tracks ever.

board icon
Author: georox
Posted: May 12, 2008 (07:05 PM)

[quote]You should know by now that I don't modify my systems, Geo![/quote]

Why was my name mentioned?

Steampunk?

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.