Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Breath of Fire review

This thread is in response to a review for Breath of Fire on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: May 09, 2009 (11:01 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Having played this game, I feel this review gives a fair assessment of the strengths and weaknesses in the game. If I would write a review of this game, I would pretty much say the same things.

The only difference is I think I was a bit more bothered by the complicated dungeons than you were. I remember those being almost completely unplayable unless you had plenty of marble 3s (or were they marble 1s) to ward off enemy encounters. That spinning dungeon completley sucked! The encounter rate for this and especially BoF 2 are ludicrous, especially when you keep getting lost in dungeons.

Outside of that, I agree this is a decent game for the most part.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: May 09, 2009 (11:33 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

The spinning dungeon was the only one that stood out in my mind as overly vicious. There were a few minor annoyances, such as having to do the Tock Tower twice (the one where Cerl's at) and pretty much everything in a dream world (spinning or not) was a bit over-the-top (gas field, anyone?), but not as bad as the dream world dungeon in BoF II where you couldn't see anything in a circle directly around you. And I think the lower floors of the Spire Tower (where you meet Mote and get sent to his dream world) had some monsters way tough for your party at that stage of the game (BlazeX, which were tough foes even in the final dungeon).

I don't think I used any of the Mrbls, but did burn through magic-restoring items pretty quickly (Nina was a very busy healer). I think in a way, I might have liked having those really complicated "battle of attrition" mazes just because so many recent games have shorter, more linear dungeons where you don't get much more than a few branching forks. It was kind of nice to feel challenged just to get from the entrance to a place to its boss.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.