Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > wolfqueen001's Mother (Import) review

This thread is in response to a review for Mother on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: May 04, 2009 (09:26 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Maybe it's just me, but I think the commentary about emulator belongs in a separate article or on a blog.

However, you did cleverly work in all the good things about the game later on. You did manage to highlight the most important aspects of Earthbound -which are the storyline and quirky humor.

I still would've prefered a more traditional review. This felt more like an article than a video game review. I'm all for outside the box thinking, but this didn't seem to work for reviewing purposes. I think this would make a great editorial however.

Or is that just me? What does everyone else think?

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: May 04, 2009 (10:02 PM)

Wow. Fastest feedback topic ever!

Haha. The editorial bits were intentional. It was ideally for Lewis' contest, but I've been rather late with it. I still wanted to put it out, though. You should probably look into these contset things. They're fun and a neat way to expand your style.

As for a "traditional" review, well... part of me would have liked to review the game that way, but on the other hand, I don't think I could review this one traditionally as well as I'd like.

In any case, if I were to review it traditionally, I'd talk about some of the little nitty-picky things that only slightly detract from the game like the random battle system which is just like any other RPG, though maybe a little more balanced (but sometimes it doesn't feel like it). They don't implement the system in Earthbound for SNES where it auto-battles for you when you're at a strong enough level...

But... honestly... that's like the only complaint I have against the game, so heh. It's a really neat title; I think everyone should play it. lol

Thanks for the feedback.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: May 04, 2009 (10:21 PM)

Talk about opening mouth and inserting foot. I didn't realise this was actually for a contest.

I should've known something was up since I read that Residen Evil Gaiden review that was posted recently done in a narrative style. For some reason I didn't catch on with this one.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Posted: May 04, 2009 (10:23 PM)

Haha. It's alright. Your feedback still showed me that it was relatively effective in what it was meant to do, so that makes me happy.

Anyway, I'd also add in level grinding. There's a bit of that in this game, too, which is a bit annoying, but it isn't terrible.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: May 04, 2009 (10:38 PM)

Yeah, when I started reading this thread I felt like saying, "Yeah, you DO know that this was for a contest, right...?"

I like this review/article/thing because I also believe that emulation simply opens the doors to a vast array of games we wouldn't be able to play otherwise, so long as the games in question are out of print anyway. Star Ocean was my defense for a while, because here's one of my all-time favorite games that I never would have been able to experience were it not for the joys of emulation and user translation, but apparently Square-Enix remade it for PSP recently. Still, plenty of other examples.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Posted: May 05, 2009 (10:02 AM)

I actually think even those old games that are ported to the PSP or DS or whatever (Star Ociean, Chrono Trigger), are still viable for emulation just because even if the port's technically kept the same, it's still a port, which means it might be subtly different in other ways. I really can't say "It's not the same experience" here, because emulation isn't really the same experience as having the game on a console, either, but still. At least with emulation, you pretty much know the game's the same as it was unless you get a hack or something.

Of course, there is the issue of not wanting to play two of what are essentially the same games... so in that sense, people would likely opt to emulate Chrono Trigger because they don't want to pay for it on the DS, or maybe they just want to tie in with nostalgia or something by playing the original SNES version. So in that sense, it can steal money from companies, but the benefits of emulation far outshine these. Besides, if the gaming companies really wanted to be anal, they'd enact copyight laws for ROMs, which has been done on many mainstream titles such as Zelda, Sonic and Metroid. You really can't download them online, even if they're not in production anymore, because of those copright laws.

Though I suppose for mainstream titles like that, you can see them in compilation titles and the VC, so they're not completely lost at least. Well, most of them. I can't say that all of them were ported in some fashion.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: May 05, 2009 (11:55 AM)

I'm glad you got this posted. I knew I missed something when I was writing my piece and that was--bringing in emulation as a fourth wall sort of thing!

I enjoyed reading about Mother and the translation etc. I'd always known it was out there but never really looked into it. This review was fun and is extra encouragement for me to give it a look some day.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: May 08, 2009 (11:14 AM)

Thanks schultz. Sorry this took so long.

I'm glad this worked for you. You should definitely try the game. It's really awesome. Though I wouldn't download it off the typical ROM sites like ROMnation and CoolRom. I'd go to demiforce's actual website for this because that's where you'd get the right version for sure. The other places just have the Japanese version, and since the English one was already "made", there's no need to have a translation patch for them.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: May 13, 2009 (07:13 PM)

Glad to see this review came to fruition! It looks good; you got your point across with clarity.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: May 13, 2009 (11:38 PM)

Thanks! Glad you were able to see it. Didn't get a chance to show you before I left.

Shame you couldn't make the contest... You should still write the review, though, I think; or save it for another time, if such a contest is run again.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.