Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > timrod's Live A Live (Import) review

This thread is in response to a review for Live A Live on the SNES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: April 30, 2009 (12:56 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

An FF hater, huh? I have to say... FF7 was very good, FFX was amazing, and FFXII and FFIX were both interesting in their own right. So the only FF to truly suck since FFVI was FFVIII.

But I digress.

Your review, aside from the FF silliness, made me actually want to play this game, though I would've liked to know whether there's a coherent story here, or just a range of scenarios.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: April 30, 2009 (02:18 AM)

Bahaha. Arguing with this guy about FF will get you nowhere.

Also: Yeah, Final Fantasy VIII did, in fact, suck.

On topic, I actually did, um, "buy" Live A Live a while ago but never got around to playing it. Might just boot it up sometime if I'm bored.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 30, 2009 (04:28 AM)

People who enjoy FFXII should be locked away before they can do harm to others. Or, worse, breed.

Yay! We're ignoring a review on a different series in favour of bickering about FF games!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: April 30, 2009 (05:24 AM)

It's been a while since I played Live a Live. Back then, what was available in translation patches was decidedly less than aesthetically pleasing. Might have to give it another shot one of these days.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: April 30, 2009 (10:32 AM)

Arguing with ANYONE over their FF tastes is pointless, because it, like religion, is one of those things that people either love or hate, and never the twain shall meet.

I could list a bunch of reasons why you're wrong, but then you'd list a bunch of reasons why you're right. Still, I couldn't help but open the can of worms slightly... just to see what sort of Kraken lurked within.

Maybe some other day.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: April 30, 2009 (10:38 AM)

I've learned to neither love nor hate Final Fantasy, but to embrace its inconsistency. As for the review, it's good enough to make me want to play the game. Nice job. :)

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

board icon
Author: timrod
Posted: April 30, 2009 (07:46 PM)

zipp: There is one coherent story, but you wouldn't recognize that there is until the eighth/final chapter.

sash: The translation patch was updated last year, it looks far better now. Each character has their own font.

Touching the untouchable.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: May 01, 2009 (02:08 AM)

Good review. I like how you provide examples of two different chapters to give us a feel what the game is like while showcasing the game's strength. Well done.

What I don't like is how you suddenly spring the game's one weakness during the last paragraph. I think that should've been incorporated into the body somehow.

Then again, I'm really one to talk about organization and incorporating ideas together.

About FF, I've played FF 1-7 and 12. I think 6 is outstanding, the rest are good, but not spectacular. FF games are good, just overrated. I even enjoyed FF 7, but I don't think it's anywhere near the best RPG ever. I even enjoyed 12 from what little I've played of it.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: darketernal
Posted: May 01, 2009 (03:27 AM)

Kung Fu era was the best to me. Awesome main character, that being a cool old guy, which are always the best sort of characters, fun "80's martial arts movie" storyline, and great, GREAT music. Well, the entire game has above average music. Also, the Wild West era was awesome, I don't know why, but I really liked the protagonist of it, very Clint Eastwood like.

As for FF's, I liked them all more or less, with the exception of FFVIII in which I hated the junction system more then all else really. Haven't yet played FFXII. Favorites would be FF7, IX, IV and VI, probably in that order.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.