Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Vargaboy5's Breath of Fire review

This thread is in response to an article about on the . You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 27, 2009 (02:18 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Feedback to come shortly. I subbed the review up long enough to be able to give a feedback ticket, but it couldn;t stay up because it didn't adhere to site guidelines. If anyone wants a crack at it before I finish all the other site stuff I'm doing, the review was:

This game may have had a bad time in the rankings. I think, most people thought it was just a so-so game. Not too good and not too bad. I am in support of those people. The game isn't too great because it doesn't really have a great beginning or end. Starting off, you really have no clue what is going on or has been going on between the dragon races. It just jumps into a race of people known as the Dark Dragons destroying a Light Dragon's village. So, I mean, wouldn't you like to know what the purpose of that was, then and now, not halfway into the game? And the ending, there was two of them, depending on how you fight that little sobbing girl. I would also like to know what the point of that was. A crazy haired girl and a multi-headed, multi-arm thing. You don't fight both, so why should it happen? It's crazy. The endings made some sense, but what was the purpose of showing a girl crying and turning into something, and Sara's face and torso in the sun? Not really that great of an ending. The next thing, is that the graphics were not all that great. Little tiny people roaming around dressed up in ridiculous outfits. The music was good, though, since there was numerous types. The plot of the story, also good, but I didn't really get why they would just use keys to lock Tyr up. Anyway, the characters were okay(except the outfits), since they didn't talk most of the game. I thought the best part was the fact that they all attacked differently. Also, instead of you getting the people all at the beginning of the game, they were scattered. THE END. (i really suck at writting reviews)

The biggest problem is it's not a review; it's more of a blog entry. More on this later.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: April 27, 2009 (02:50 PM)

I saw this one when you had it locked.

The first big problem, other than the whole "blog-entry" point, was that unless the GBA version cuts out stuff from the SNES original, the whole complaint that you don't know what that story's about is inaccurate. If you stay on the title screen and wait, you get a fairly lengthy backstory about the Light and Dark Dragons that sets up the game's opening scene.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 27, 2009 (02:58 PM)

It's a direct port. The only difference is that it's been made significantly easier from the SNES version.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 27, 2009 (03:51 PM)

lol wow. That thing has no structure at all... It just jumps from point to point without any connection, revisits previously mentioned points without any connection, and doesn't make any sense with any points made, really.

If this peson actually used paragraphs and went into much more depth on these points he/she was making, and also didn't jump from place to place, it might be a much better idea. Also, admitting you suck at writing reviews at the end isn't exactly ticket to acceptance, either.

Anyway, we actually can view the review through the 'view review' link at the top, since it doesn't actually disappear forever, haha.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: April 27, 2009 (05:15 PM)

So was this a serious review or was this some kind of lame attempt at a joke?

I too find it a bit suspicious that the person admits to sucking at writing reviews. If that's the case, then why did this person bother submitting one in the first place before having someone proofread it? Then again, I guess a lot of people would do something like that.

This seems so bad that it has to be a joke, albeit not a very good one.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: April 28, 2009 (12:18 AM)

Mmm, not necessarily. I remember some of my own pre-GameFAQs attempts, such as a "review" for Command & Conquer in high school. That attempt is laughable to me now as well, but it was the only way I knew how to do it at the time.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: joseph_valencia
Posted: April 28, 2009 (04:49 PM)

Yeah, this is pretty terrible even as a mini-review. Also, how dense do you have to be to not realize that the girl was just a ruse to disguise Tyr/Myria's true form. It's like watching The Omen and wondering "duuuuuude, what was up with that kid and the dogs and stuff?"

JOSEPH VALENCIA was able to build this sig IN A CAVE…… WITH A BOX OF SCRAPS!!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.