Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Melaisis's Runes of Magic review

This thread is in response to a review for Runes of Magic on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: April 23, 2009 (07:18 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I don't agree with the angle you take here. It seems to me the biggest knock on this game is that it essentially offers nothing new from LotR and WoW. But you also point out there are no monthly fees.

What if someone who doesn't want to pay those monthly tries this game instead? If a person has never played LotR and WoW, would this game have the same weaknesses?

I don't like how you assume everyone who plays MMO plays every MMO. I've only played Maple Story for the simple reason that it's completely free. Same with games on BYOND. Those are free. I've never played WoW or LotR.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: April 24, 2009 (04:37 AM)

The way I see it - and take it as you will because I'm not much of an MMO player - the monthly fee ones are one category and the no monthly fee ones are another. In the same way that I'd expect less of a $20 budget title than of a full priced game, I'd also sooner compare a "free" MMO (I assume there is an initial purchase involved though?) to others of its kind - be it Maple Story or CABAL Online, the one I've played most recently, than to WoW.

That said, the point that in terms of content it does precisely the same thing that all the others have already done repeatedly is well taken. Even your comments on quest chains just screamed "ah, exactly like CABAL then" to me, and even as somebody who knows WoW only from word of mouth I can see how raiding is not considered anything special anymore these days.

"Deep in the earth I faced a fight that I could never win. The blameless and the base destroyed, and all that might have been. -- GK"

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: April 24, 2009 (05:18 PM)

Didn't mean to come down so hard on the review in my initial statement. I think it's well written and flows well; I just don't like the approach taken.

On the other hand, I understand MMOs obviously have a completley different dynamic than typical video games. Perhaps I just don't understand all the little nuances and the terminology.

With that said, I still think this review alienates people like me who don't play a lot of MMOs.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: Melaisis
Posted: May 03, 2009 (04:30 AM)

Aye. In the initial draft I knocked the whole 'been there, done that' aspect hard. As you say, the review does alienate those of you who haven't played many MMOs, but this is 2009 and they've been around for almost a decade. Even if you've just played MapleStory or even RuneScape, you'll find that most of the features are simply copy and pasted here.

Thank you for the other compliments, though. ^^

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.