Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW for 4/12 to 4/18, 2009: Overdrive RETURNS!!!!!

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: April 22, 2009 (02:46 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

For the second straight week, you will be blessed to receive an OVERDRIVE REVIEW OF THE WEEK PRESENTATION. Now sit in awed silence as I go through the technical jargon.

1. No staff members shall be allowed to win ANYTHING!!!!!
2. Only one review by any given reviewer is eligible for PLACEMENT!!!!!
3. You are all my property, to buy, sell and barter as I PLEASE!!!!!

Ahem. And now let the good times roll!

THIRD PLACE: Panzer Dragoon (Saturn) by pickhut

As I said before, that Back to the Future reference was very clever. As is this review in general AND all three that got recognized here AND a couple that didn't. It wasn't easy for me to make my choices here. The thing I liked most about this review was how well you tackled a game that was this big, important, significant Saturn game that just hasn't aged well. You did a good job of demonstrating why this was the first attention-grabbing game for that system and how it did a fine job of overcoming the limitations of being an on-rails shooter.....but also mentioning how in the grand scheme of things now, it's kind of outdated with dull graphics, a lack of length and easy end-stages. The sort of game that was great at the time, but kinda "meh" now.

SECOND PLACE: Madworld (Wii) by Suskie

And the tough placement decisions continued for brave Overdrive, as he nobly read reviews. Since I'm getting used to reading "Overdrive-style" or something like that during contest judging as a way to simply describe how awesome my writing is, I'll bestow the same honor on you and say that you did a great job of a "Suskie-style" review. One of your strong points is your ability to vividly describe things in a game so that a guy like me, who has no knowledge of this game other than seeing a commercial for it a handful of time, can essentially visualize just what is going on. This was just a very good review that was carried by some very good verbal renditions of the over-the-top gore and carnage you can inflict on stuff in this game.....with a few interesting points about quick-time events and how the Wii is a great console for them.

OVERDRIVE PLACE: System Shock 2 (PC) by Lewis

While I don't know that I can call this a "Lewis-style" review or not, it does have what I'd consider a staple of your writing. You seem to have this knack for bringing up and focusing on those little things that make a high (or low) score seem meaningful. They might not be the most crucial or integral parts of the game, but the care gone into presenting them in the review just makes your overall point that much more vivid. With this review, your paragraph about "The Many" does that. There's just something about the way you describe your foes and how you're actually being merciful by killing them that reached out and grabbed me by the throat — turning what had been a good read into a pretty memorable one. The fact you're fighting alien-possessed humans isn't overly interesting or important in itself, but the way you wrote that paragraph was just beautiful and did a great job of making me understand why you really liked this game.

And with all that and whatnot, I'm out! Peace!

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: April 22, 2009 (03:24 PM)

Very good "overdrive style" ROTW. Three great reviews this week.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: April 22, 2009 (03:49 PM)

Thanks for the mention, and I'm genuinely surprised to hear I've got any sort of discernible "style" at all. Makes me wonder if someone would be able to pick out a Suskie review without knowing for sure that I wrote it. Hmm... may be time to put the old alt to work...

Edit: Oh yes, and congrats to Pickhut and Lewis for their well-deserved placements.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 22, 2009 (03:55 PM)

Suskie, you remind me of an interesting idea I was going to do last year, then forgot to do it. Now, I shall make forth on it before I forget again!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: April 22, 2009 (08:00 PM)

Thanks again for the comments, Overdrive. In your honor, my next review will be nothing but BttF references.

Congrats to both Suskie and Lewis on their placements, especially so for Lewis' RotW placing.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: April 23, 2009 (08:50 AM)

Suskie's MadWorld review, being the best thing he's written, is the one I'd have gone for over mine. Thanks for the honour, and well done to the others.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: May 04, 2009 (11:23 AM)

I see what you mean about placing these reviews--they're all very enjoyable and worth reading and rereading. Some of these games, I don't have a clue about, so it is interesting to read about them in detail.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.