Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > wolfqueen001's Just Breed (Import) review

This thread is in response to a review for Just Breed on the NES. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: April 19, 2009 (12:34 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

After reading Schultz's Kitaro review, this was featured in the "while you're here..." section. I liked the artwork (it looks like Yuzo Takada) so I clicked on it.

And was surprised to see a 10/10 strategy game review! That being said, I totally believe it, because there are a lot of fantastic (but obscure) old strategy games. In fact, I'd daresay they don't make them like they used to. From the screenshots, it looks kind of like the visual style of Shining Force but with a lot more combat options and nuances. And it looks like there's a nice blend of (straightforward) storytelling and different scenarios.

Would you still give this one a 10/10 today? I'm thinking of trying it out. Also, if you have access to a Sega CD, I'd recommend you check out Dark Wizard. The graphics are actually worse, but it sounds like it has a lot of the same aspects you appreciated in this one.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 19, 2009 (01:25 PM)

Thanks. I actually reviewed this for OD's All or Nothing comp, and during that time, this was the first time I'd ever played that game. Truth be told, I haven't really played that many old-school strategy games, but I really did like this one because of how much thought had to go into winning a fight. And the fights really are epic; all of them will take at least half an hour to finish, if you're into that sort of thing. The story is pretty straightforward, and figuring out what you need to do is, too, but the real highlight is the battles. And there are some little quirks and things in that game that you can discover. Some of them are quite amusing. It's actually a fairly adult sort of game for Nintendo in some ways. Haha. It's a lot darker in places, too, compared to other strats / RPGs, too. Which is a plus for me.

I'm not sure I'd give it a 10. I was really thinking, even when I reviewed it, that it'd be a really strong 9. But I gave it a 10 because of that contest. But to be fair, I don't give out tens leniently, even for the sake of contests. So I felt it was good enough to warrant the ten anyway even if I felt more strongly towards the very-high 9 range.

You should check it out. You'd probably like it, too. And if you reviewed it, that'd be awesome, especially since a different perspective is always cool. And you won't need the translation patch like I did. Haha.

And no, I don't have access to the Sega CD, but I'll keep that in mind nonetheless.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: August 10, 2010 (02:39 PM)

So how exactly did you get access to this, WQ? Good Emulator reccomendation?

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: CoarseDragon
Posted: August 10, 2010 (05:53 PM)

Zipp, check this site. I got mine here. Fully playable english translation.

http://www.romhacking.net/trans/566/

Age is a condition not a state of mind.

board icon
Posted: August 10, 2010 (06:15 PM)

Hey, thanks! I'll check it out. Gotta make sure I can find a good emulator for the mac...

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: August 11, 2010 (09:32 AM)

Yeah. That site is where I got the translation patch. I think I got the actual game from either coolrom.com or romnation.net, though. The emulator I use is called NesterJ, but I use a PC, so I don't know if it's compatible with yours.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: August 11, 2010 (02:23 PM)

Yeah, I don't think so... few emulators have been designed for the Mac, oddly enough.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: August 11, 2010 (03:31 PM)

^Not true.

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: August 11, 2010 (05:50 PM)

Mm. Should be a n64 emulator called sixtyforce - haven't tried it myself, but apparently it's very good(even if there's some sort of registration if you want to use the snapshot saves, and so on).. But there's a good visualboyadvance port, and a snes9x and znes port out there - work well. DeSmuMe for the ds, if that's something. And there exists a mostly abandoned pcsx port (comparable plugin performance to software plugins in linux).

I think there's a guy maintaining the pcsx2 emulator for osx as well, but it's intel specific.

Or, you can do like a sleazy friend of mine did: convince the boss to order Wmware at work, and then use the windows-emulators. Heard he wasn't happy about the performance afterwards, though.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: August 12, 2010 (07:50 AM)

Zophar's has a pretty good list of emulators for Mac:

http://www.zophar.net/macintosh.html

The best Mac emulation page was at http://emulation.victoly.com/ but it closed. It now points to http://emulation.macscene.net/ and says it's just as good, but as far as I can tell, Macscene is really just a forum, albeit one with knowledgable people on it.

board icon
Author: fleinn
Posted: August 12, 2010 (09:53 AM)

:) zophar's domain is still open? Nice.

board icon
Posted: August 13, 2010 (01:39 PM)

Hey, thanks for the link Bloomer! I think I've been to Zophar's before... when I got my Mother 3 emulator.

But I'm on a new computer now.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.