Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Lewis's Yume Nikki review

This thread is in response to a review for Yume Nikki on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 11, 2009 (08:52 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I can have no complaints with the writing Lewis exhibits here and how he dissects the game and its meanings so effortlessly and with real authority. My problem, then, lies instead in how he makes the big spoiler contained within such a big part of the review and it’s one that has now stopped me from wanting to continue a kooky little game I’ve been slowly chipping away at now for a few months. I don’t think that’s what a praise review should accomplish. Yes, there’s a warning at the start (one that I had to ignore because I committed myself to this RotW) but, really, what’s the point of the entire piece if not to inform people thinking about playing the game if they should or not? What this review does is say “This is a great game -- but in telling you so, I will remove all motivation for you to actually play it.”

I happen to think that sometimes spoilers in reviews are acceptable and even brilliant when used right. I point doubters to Cairo’s awesome Assassin’s Creed where he gives away the ending to drive a final nail in the coffin. Perhaps it’s the difference of tones that make one brilliant and the other a disaster: Cairo seeks to dissuade while you persuade, but that’s perhaps a tangent for another day.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: April 11, 2009 (09:03 AM)

"What's the point of the entire piece if not to inform people thinking about playing the game if they should or not?"

To pick apart at why it's an important game. It's a review for people who've already played it, or who are never going to play it. Maybe that makes it Not A Review...

Cheers for reading. Even though you had to. And sorry for spoiling it, but...

...actually, I don't think that does spoil it. Until the end, I was a bit "wtf?" about Yume Nikki, because none of it makes much sense outside of the context of the ending. I'd say it's worth playing even more once you know what's going on. It's so key to everything.

(I suppose you could say the same of Sixth Sense, but that was a largely entertaining film before the sucker-punch, whereas Yume Nikki is never really that enjoyable.)

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than tousculpa requested its removal.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: June 29, 2010 (12:16 PM)

Now I linked to this (and have seen Lewis is still alive) I feel the need to point out my previous statement is rubbish. I still finished the game and am sad I have no one to talk to about it.

For us. For them. For you.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.