Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > honestgamer's Diddy Kong Racing review

This thread is in response to a review for Diddy Kong Racing on the Nintendo 64. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: April 05, 2009 (06:06 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I totally agree that Diddy Kong racing is simultaneously one of the hardest, worst, and most engaging racers of all time.

I still don't know why that is. Your article, despite some guesses, doesn't hit it.

But it got me thinking about this f-ing game again. It's THE MOST frustrating game I've ever played.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: April 05, 2009 (07:29 PM)

It's a really old review, but I don't think I'll ever update it. There's nothing that I would say differently about it today than when I first wrote that review. While spending significant time going over flaws, I also communicated the game's magic--at least for me--and that's really all that I figure I can do.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: April 05, 2009 (07:33 PM)

I frankly considered this game a lot better than Mario Kart 64, largely because the multiplayer options were at least equal (albeit with a less likable cast) while the solo campaign absolutely blew MK64 away. I remember some of the boss races being pretty difficult but not too frustrating.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: April 05, 2009 (07:36 PM)

Okay, I'm still confused how the game scored an 8 after reading that.

Granted, I've never actually played this before, so maybe the review would make more sense if I've played the game.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: April 05, 2009 (07:43 PM)

I remember DKR being really challenging. There were some tasks in there, like collecting all the coins AND winning the races on the higher difficulties that seemed impossible. From a technical standpoint it was superior to Mario Kart 64... but I played Mario Kart 64 a hell of a lot more. As did my friends, when they came over for multiplayer games. None of my friends were much interested in playing DKR.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.