Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > turducken's Resident Evil Gaiden review

This thread is in response to a review for Resident Evil Gaiden on the Game Boy Color. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: April 04, 2009 (09:01 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

At first glance, I didn't think the story review would work here, but somehow you manage to pull it off. It was an enjoyable read, and the flaws embedded within feel natural and the whole thing works wonderfully.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: April 05, 2009 (05:55 PM)

I totally disagree with the above statement. I thought this was, to be frank, a painful read. Story reviews are hard to pull off and mostly work by being brief and to the point. This one meanders for many paragraphs.

Sorry, I didn't like this at all.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: April 05, 2009 (07:09 PM)

I normally don't like story reviews either, but I enjoyed this one.

If nothing else, it is better than the other review for this game. The guy in the other review talks about how his friends show up and make fun of him for still playing kiddie video games before passing a bong around.

It's bad enough forming friendships with people who don't share similar interets, but it's worse when they have tolerance for your hobbies. If they have such a huge problem with you playing video games, maybe it's time to get some new friends who don't.

Plus he insinuates that the main selling point for the RE series as a whole is that it impresses your friends when you blow a zombie's head off. So it doesn't matter whether or not YOU enjoy the game; all that matters is that your friends like it. C'mon man.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: April 05, 2009 (07:17 PM)

See, HMD's review works for me because, though it has a gimmick, that gimmick is surrounded by an actual review. Just when it starts to drift too far, HMD reels it in and shows you how it works.

This review is more like a blog post. If it didn't say RE: Gaiden at the top, I'd have little idea of what he was talking about.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: April 05, 2009 (07:19 PM)

I just have a hard time giving credibility to some guy who seems more worried about what his friends think about his video game habits than his actual opinions. It's like he's saying this game is bad because it's on a small screen and all his friends can't huddle around and be impressed. I mean c'mon.

He even admits these people barely play video games. Why should I care what they think? I want opinions from people who actually play games.

Edit: To be fair, I suppose after he's finally done talking about imrpessing his friends, the rest of the review isn't too bad.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: turducken
Posted: April 05, 2009 (08:27 PM)

It's fine; I'm not too in love with it myself. It was originally meant to be a review for a tourney, but I missed that deadline. I didn't mind that too much because I also felt it was garbage and barely a review.

I was then persuaded by Emp to finish it, so here it is in all its long-winded glory.

"My father, the Emperor, had many powers of the Dark Side. But without three eyes he could never achieve perfection." - Trioculus

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 06, 2009 (09:29 AM)

EmP is always right. I see this as proof.

I enjoyed the read. It was long, but didn't feel it and I learnt about the game indirectly while having a laugh. Gaiden's a dumb title, so it was a good pick to lampoon it. My favourite lines were the ones ripping into the fact you needed X weapon already to pick up X ammo and the sly nod to RES 4&5.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: April 06, 2009 (09:57 AM)

I enjoyed the review as well. Seems to fit in with the theme of Lewis' competition, as well.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Posted: April 06, 2009 (05:16 PM)

sly nod to RES 4&5.

Yeah, I liked the foreshadowing used in that line as well. I'm glad I'm not the only one who enjoyed it.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.