Ads are gone. We're using Patreon to raise funds so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

Forums > HGWars > HGWars: The Epic Sticky

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05] [06] [07] [08] [09]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: April 22, 2009 (02:52 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I don't understand what 1.2E + 6 Gold means.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: April 22, 2009 (03:27 AM)

Yeah I'm not sure if everyone's getting that, but it means 1.2 million. It's scientific notation.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: honestgamer (Mod)
Posted: April 22, 2009 (03:49 AM)

Yes, the scientific notation is what the site spews when it's the result of multiplication by way of PHP. So I can easily type in 2,000,000, obviously, but if a variable exceeds a certain amount then PHP defaults to displaying it in scientific notation and I don't know how to fix it yet. It's probably easy, but I haven't been looking for the fix because other things take higher priority. It's one of those things I'd like to have fixed by the time open beta closes, naturally.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: April 22, 2009 (08:32 AM)

A customer once managed to (deliberately) crash my application by overflowing a value that I *thought* I had secured by making sure only 3 characters could be added into the field, and anything other than a number was refused.

The clown entered "9E9" which Access VBA decided was a valid number, namely meaning 9 times 10 to the 9th power.

''Yes, yes...but apart from all that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?''

board icon
Posted: April 22, 2009 (08:34 PM)

I just had some fights with Woodhouse and Yamish in which we were doing half points of damage. (EG 17.5). I guess you (HG) are tinkering with something.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: April 22, 2009 (11:42 PM)

It could be luck of the draw but I just missed (and got killed) several times in succession against people I rarely missed at all. Methinks agility's factor is likewise subject to tweaking as we speak.

board icon
Author: honestgamer (Mod)
Posted: April 23, 2009 (12:06 AM)

Agility hasn't been touched. It's just unfortunate luck of the draw. However, I have tweaked the damage and defense settings for battle to balance them out a bit more. The way they were, you had to ridiculously overpower certain stats for them to matter at all in the grand scheme of things. My goal is for stat changes to have discernible impact the whole way through, something that the changes should allow more readily. Luck and agility seem to be just fine--in my opinion, at least--and are unlikely to be tweaked anytime soon.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto

board icon
Posted: April 23, 2009 (02:27 AM)

*crashes headfirst in the wall that is suddenly bloomer, again*

Whatever you say, chief :P

EDIT: actually, now that I think about it, I may simply be looking at his defense doing more for him than it used to. More experiments are in order.

board icon
Author: brokenmachine
Posted: April 23, 2009 (09:06 AM)

On occasion this morning, when I perform a job the result comes up blank- no description of the result, and no gold is earned (I can only guess none taken either as I always vault my gold b4 performing a job).

Anyone else experiencing this?

board icon
Posted: April 23, 2009 (12:52 PM)

Had no trouble here. Did the job sap your energy, or didn't it do that either?

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 23, 2009 (01:06 PM)

I think I remember something like that happening to me occasionally a while ago... but it hasn't happened recently. Might just be a random glitch with the older jobs or something.

What espiga does in his free time
[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: yamishuryou
Posted: April 24, 2009 (06:07 AM)

Venter should use an account called "Venter" for HGWars

That way if he ever decides to attack me it's a lot more satisfying to see "Venter was too weak." than "honestgamer was too weak."

At 9:55:00 PM MST on April 5th, 2005, Venter finally defeated Phantom!

board icon
Author: brokenmachine
Posted: April 24, 2009 (09:02 AM)

My energy was used and experience was earned, however no notice of any money gain/loss. Happened to me just now, actually.

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: April 24, 2009 (11:05 AM)

Well...jobs can lose gold now. I don't think they could before. So if you take a job and it potentially loses more than you have, maybe the server just does nothing with your gold.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: April 24, 2009 (11:11 AM)

They always could (maybe not all jobs, there are some I've done regularly without ever losing). At least in the past, it would simply mention the loss of gold regardless of whether you had it, and never take it out of your vault, only out of the cash you had on hand.

As such, the best bet is to simply vault it before taking on the job, as usual.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 25, 2009 (06:05 AM)

Typo in the deliver the package quest:

What were the odds, you wondered, that another fellow would deliver a package to teh same house that you did on the same day?

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: April 25, 2009 (06:34 AM)

Although I've spotted that, I automatically ignored it. I'm hardwired to consider 'teh' intentional nowadays. I blame the internet.

But if we're going to be reporting minor issues anyway:

- If you arrive at hgwars.com without an authenticated session (thus having to log in), after logging in the status bar doesn't load. A refresh fixes this.

- If from the hgwars.com main page you click the forums link, it'll load the Honestgamers.com site within the HGWars frameset. Also easy enough to circumvent by opening in a new tab.

board icon
Posted: April 27, 2009 (09:55 AM)

Some player with HG points to spare should level up and make sure Woodhouse continues to experience molestation. He is living a life devoid of other players, violence, theft and robbery, and it's just not cricket.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 27, 2009 (11:07 AM)

Well, so am I, really, since no one dares attack/rob me nor I attack/rob them anymore because we always do about 1 damage to each other in combat unless we get a lucky critical, so defender usually always wins, and robbing is just plain hopeless for me, anyway. Theoretically shotty's robbable, but I doubt he'll repair his stuff again because Sash is evil. Though I rather like sash's evilness directed towards me because I usually win.

What espiga does in his free time
[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: April 27, 2009 (12:18 PM)

Bloomer, if you want to reach woodhouse, you can just spend time in experience-intensive quests, the package being a good one. The higher your level, the less your job-gold is in relation to your property.

Though I think Woodhouse has found something to ensure he can level up slightly quicker than the rest of us. And yes it is perfectly legal.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: April 27, 2009 (06:50 PM)

I been packagin' it up for awhile :)

WQ, you feel like your life is devoid of trouble, but you're in a range where people can do stuff to each other, and you're only safe because you've invested a mountain of your hard-earned money in your defense over time. If you had Woodhouse's forest hideout at this point, you'd be drubbed and mashed on the ground.

Woodhouse can get away with paying no tax without being a thief, never invest in fortress or mercs, build any ridiculous property he likes with no concern for defending it (EG 1 expensive one, which everyone would have a go at if in range, but he can afford to do that at at any time) and for all my efforts – which I view as quite heroic btw – I don't believe I'll be interacting with him ever again. He can use HG points to keep out of range for the whole month. If you can play this game as if there were no other people in it, you can win easily. I'd have to be at the computer 24/7 to have hope of getting in range over three weeks, but because I don't want to die like some emaciated South Korean, I'm not going to do that. :)

I don't think you can stop someone who moves out of interaction range and has HG points to burn. Now that I see this happening, I think maybe the game could use something to prevent this from happening. But of course I don't know everything, maybe xp needs skyrocket in the 150 levels or something, that may already do it.

board icon
Posted: April 28, 2009 (01:08 AM)

I knew from the start that I'd have no prayer of winning this cycle of HGWars, but I've been doing better than I expected. Within my level range I'm low on the money, but high on the combat victory rate. What is my undoing, however, is that I cannot maintain my buildings for any length of time and thus I fall farther and farther behind moneywise.

I've basically been trying to do everything at once - be powerful enough to rob, sturdy enough to hold off robbery, and be victorious against fighter and mage types alike - and now I pay the price of being "almost but not quite" in all these areas.

I should have followed Michael Porter's advice on competition and followed a deliberate strategy instead of try to cover all bases at once. People who *can* keep their properties repaired pass me left and right, regardless of how much better my win/loss ratio for combat is.

board icon
Posted: May 19, 2009 (08:43 PM)

I have seen a lot of unsavoury types on the leaderboard lately. 'Death's (?!) and Demons. Yuck!

board icon
Author: yamishuryou
Posted: May 20, 2009 (12:47 AM)

I could've touched him for like the last week but kept behind by a level or two at a time

I think at the current rate I'll still end up with more G overall than he will by the end of the month (definitely so if Venter takes property values into effect)

At 9:55:00 PM MST on April 5th, 2005, Venter finally defeated Phantom!

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: May 20, 2009 (02:58 AM)

I'm not really sure what I'm doing any more. Except getting robbed by zig.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05] [06] [07] [08] [09]

Site Policies & Ethics | Contact | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party.Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.