Ads are gone. We're using Patreon to raise funds so we can grow. Please pledge support today!
Google+   Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | DS | PS3 | PS4 | PSP | VITA | WII | WIIU | X360 | XB1 | All

Forums > HGWars > HGWars: The Epic Sticky

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05] [06] [07] [08] [09]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: vince
Posted: April 15, 2009 (05:11 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Property defense stacks. i.e. 30 murky wells are significantly harder to rob than 1 murky well. As a result, people that own 1 or 2 high end buildings are my favorites since I can loot the 1 or 2 high end buildings dry and get a few hundred gold for it.

The following people can die:
Kieran
Homosexuals

This list will grow as I think of more people. Goodbye.

board icon
Author: zigfried (Mod)
Posted: April 15, 2009 (05:39 PM)

Thanks for the tip.

//Zig

Unlimited Zig Works!

board icon
Posted: April 16, 2009 (11:48 PM)

the most annoying bug. Most annoying bug.

If you're logged out, log back in, the page it directs you two looks a bit like the home page, except the links to do things and your stats are not displayed at the top.

You have to log in, then manually go to www.hgwars.com again, and click to go into ~*~Venteria~*~

Kieran
Homosexuals

board icon
Posted: April 16, 2009 (11:51 PM)

Also I haven't had anyone in my level range at all in 3 days so i'm gonna bow out, I might come around next cycle so have fun until then

Kieran
Homosexuals

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: April 17, 2009 (02:57 AM)

Sorry to hear it. I've done some gentle advertizing of HGWars here and there but to no actual result so far. I am surrounded, it appears, by perpetually busy people.

''Yes, yes...but apart from all that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?''

board icon
Author: aschultz
Posted: April 17, 2009 (03:40 AM)

Vince--I'd think there are ways to bump yourself up pretty quickly, or quicker than most people. Because each level is naturally tougher to get to, you should be able to close the gap in a bit, just checking in every few days, and you don't have to worry about much.

My principal said, 'Emo, Emo, Emo.'
I said 'I'm the one in the middle, you lousy drunk!'
-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: April 17, 2009 (03:10 PM)

I could, it's just boring as hell is all. I'm not too worried about it, it was just a stroke of bad luck. It was more of a threat anyway, since i'll be here next cycle from the start.

Kieran
Homosexuals

board icon
Author: shotgunnova
Posted: April 18, 2009 (05:36 PM)

Spam "Sell Your Carvings" and get XP that way. You might as well get into position to attack high-level people for easier XP than wait for upstarts and get 1 for each. The position you're in ain't a lost cause or anything. =p

Dogpile on Gwinnett!

board icon
Posted: April 19, 2009 (03:24 AM)

It's not a lost cause, it's just boring as hell having nothing to do.

Kieran
Homosexuals

board icon
Posted: April 19, 2009 (07:24 AM)

OK, I think I found a bug--you can rob at levels 10+ or 10 below someone, if you know their ID number and can adjust the URL level when you try to rob them. Sorry, Wolfqueen.

Also, I think robbing is inherently flawed as you can make gold from thin air. For instance, two people build 1 vendor stall each. They are at 60 and nobody else is. They can happily rob each other 4x and repair(160000 gold for each, 24000 to repair) for quite a while. While warfare should produce some sort of gold, it should also not allow you to create gold from thin air.

I think how much you can rob from someone should vary with the income they get from their property, not with the income they get from *1* piece of property, and it should not be an order of magnitude greater than the cost of repair an attack incurs. Since robbing is allegedly already bent in favor of the attacker for any one combat, it becomes a free for all if robbing is there too much.

I also think it is a good idea to factor in the # of units with how much a person can rob(ie how much robbed = # of units a person has * damage done * some base amount) if it is indeed true, as Vince noted, that defense builds the more of property type X you buy. And similarly, the defender should get more than a maximum of 2000 gold for repelling an attack that can win 40000 gold. Again, it's the stacking of advantages for the attacker that makes things a little out of control.

Let me know if I skipped around things illegally. I'll give the gold back. It just struck me that without a way to punish the robber, the game is tipped in the robber's favor even more than if you give a general bonus for attacking.

I think Zigfried mentioned something similar to this earlier in the thread. While we can have alliances or peace treaties, I don't think outright collusion should be a strategy in HGWars, or if it was intended to be, it maybe should have been mentioned earlier.

-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: April 19, 2009 (07:47 AM)

I agree that for game balance, robbery would be better served as "stop someone from making money" than for "make money myself". Although if that's the case, level restrictions should probably be removed, because otherwise there would be no way for lower-level people to slow down a runaway bard. Whereas presently, the robbery gains mean that even lower-level people can monetarily surpass high-level players.

EDIT: but removing level restrict. would mean high-level people can bully low-level, making low-level buildings useless. damn

I haven't put as much thought into potential alternatives as you have, but if the cost to repair 80% is more than the gains from robbing 80%, that should prevent collusion. Unfortunately, such a shift could also make property-building totally useless if the repair cost is increased (as opposed to only reducing the robbery gains). Building is already useless if someone is robbed by multiple people. The only reason Wolfqueen is making money on her property is because I'm the only one who could rob her, and I wasn't robbing her blind. But that can be averted by just messing with the robbery gains.

Balance. It's a tricky thing to figure out!

EDIT: regarding "stacking", it's currently the best way to improve the income-vs-rob ratio. If you stack enough, then your income might surpass the robber's gains, while increasing defense (resulting in fewer successful robberies). So I'm not sure I agree that robbery gains should increase on stacked buildings. Gains should probably just be lower across the board.

//Zig

Unlimited Zig Works!

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 19, 2009 (11:49 AM)

Hey, Schultz. You're not sorry if you keep doing it. Attack Zig instead! lol

What espiga does in his free time
[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: shotgunnova
Posted: April 20, 2009 (01:28 PM)

Anyone know how much a 2nd Spectacular Peninsula costs? It just gives the formula. Pretty sure this was mentioned before...

Dogpile on Gwinnett!

board icon
Posted: April 20, 2009 (01:29 PM)

$2 million, then $2.4 million. You can only buy two, total. Unless you buy the 90-fortress. Then you'll need to buy another.

-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: Calvin
Posted: April 20, 2009 (01:58 PM)

Don't know what's going on with the game right now, but it's not giving me any experience points or gold when the counter resets. Once I post this it will probably start giving me points again. >_>

Waited through 5 countdowns just to make sure. Nobody is robbing me or anything, all of my buildings are fully repaired. I don't know what could be wrong?

---

Seems like it started again, quite a few minutes after it had stopped. Does this happen to anyone else?

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: April 20, 2009 (03:02 PM)

That happened to me, actually... It was odd. As soon as I'd left the window, I was getting my money again.

And to Shotty: Schultz is wrong. He gave you the figures for the Verdant Valley. The Spectacular Peninsula is 1 million, then 1.2 million, then 1.4 million. You can only get 3.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: April 20, 2009 (04:34 PM)

Aigh, I forgot. It's been so long since I bought mine.

-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: April 20, 2009 (11:05 PM)

*sighs* I really think that robbing glitch should be fixed soon because Schultz is just merciless and the only reason he hadn't robbed me most of today was because he was on top. What did I ever do to you, man? lol

I also found another one where if you sell your property, you can still repair it and it'll give the health as if you have it, but you don't make money off it, so it's not a big deal. Just a bit aesthetically annoying.

board icon
Posted: April 21, 2009 (12:01 AM)

Don't worry. I'm trying my best to get his attention. I think the robbing glitch is the #1 thing to be fixed at the moment, too, but I figured, why not give him a sense of urgency about it. Seems like it shouldn't be too hard a fix--after all, I tried circumventing the 10-level limit(for my own protection, against people lowere leveld than myself) and he'd fixed that.

I'll ease up a bit on you now. You just drew the short straw for a bit.

-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: April 21, 2009 (01:43 AM)

after all, I tried circumventing the 10-level limit(for my own protection, against people lowere leveld than myself) and he'd fixed that.

??? It's not fixed, as I learned the hard way...

ASchultz, I thought you were earning money from ridiculous amounts of property, which is why I started buying buildings. I didn't know you were still robbing Wolfqueen! I must admit, I was a bit surprised to see that you had looted me dry. I had misinterpreted your previous apology post as "I found a glitch, so fix it, but I won't do it anymore".

//Zig

Unlimited Zig Works!

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: April 21, 2009 (07:45 AM)

See? He's much worse than I am! I may be Genghis Khan but I never made anyone believe otherwise.

*greedily eyes wolfqueen's properties which, sometime today, once again got too powerful for him to rob*

''Yes, yes...but apart from all that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?''

board icon
Posted: April 21, 2009 (02:12 PM)

Actually, I'd like to bow out--I've spent entirely too much time on hgwars, and Zigfried, since you're gone, I think if I left, too, the whole contest could really be up for grabs, and that would make it more fun and more interesting for a lot of people, though it seems pretty interesting for them. There are several people I think could win it.

I'd had about $7000+ per minute in income before I went raiding but I guess I got bored of sitting around not doing much waiting for people to level up, and I went and did something silly instead. I hope there are no hard feelings about this. I was just tinkering with a lot of things, and your fortress was a lot harder to destroy than I'd anticipated.

As it is, HGWars helped get me back into review/guide/fiction writing and so I'd like to contribute with that more than by playing the game. I'd also feel bad about taking any money for winning given what I did.

So how do we delete my account as you got yours deleted?

-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Author: honestgamer (Mod)
Posted: April 21, 2009 (02:40 PM)

Zigfried got his deleted so as to take me up on my offer to let anyone who wanted to restart do so. Certainly, I can delete your account if you're sure (and that's probably for the best, considering your ill-gotten gains), but once it's gone... it's gone. Let me know if you're certain.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto

board icon
Posted: April 21, 2009 (02:42 PM)

Sounds good to me. Go for it!

-- Emo Phillips

board icon
Posted: April 21, 2009 (06:27 PM)

No hard feelings here, Schultz -- half the reason I deleted my account was to attempt a backdoor attack on your own ;)

It is a beta, after all. We have to expect there to be some exploits.

The one I had in mind didn't work, fortunately. Just tell Venter you want to recreate. We can duke it out at the low levels!

//Zig

Unlimited Zig Works!

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05] [06] [07] [08] [09]

Info | Help | Privacy Policy | Contact | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party.Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.