foe_en_s4_b22.jpg

Forums > HGWars > HGWars: The Epic Sticky

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05] [06] [07] [08] [09]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: April 14, 2009 (10:34 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

Oh, I'm not worried. I was just citing myself as an example of the effectiveness and whatnot. I make plenty of money to be in fair enough contention with just about everyone excepting maybe Schultz.

What espiga does in his free time
[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: vince
Posted: April 14, 2009 (11:04 AM)

The limit on healing is really putting a damper on this whole rob everybody blind thing.

The following people can die:
Kieran
Homosexuals

This list will grow as I think of more people. Goodbye.

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (11:13 AM)

Which limit on healing? The one that lets you spend money to fully recover?

You're kicking my ass - you and schultz both. I think I'm going to stop repairing my stuff like everyone else has because, quite frankly, it's just getting too expensive for how quickly it gets destroyed.

I dunno. Before almost no one could get me... then again, those people figured that out and pretty much stopped attacking. lol

Maybe I need to reallocate my defenses... since trying to stop both just doesn't work, it seems.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (11:16 AM)

It's cool i'm destroying shultz too.

But yeah, my issue is that I start robbing someone, then get killed, and have to heal and kill the person that killed me to keep them in check and give me a few minutes of uninterrupted looting. Unfortunately there's more than one person gunning for me right now so it makes it difficult to keep multiple people in check with the 7 turn limit on healing.

Kieran
Homosexuals

board icon
Author: sashanan
Posted: April 14, 2009 (11:16 AM)

Yeah, after a few attempts at keeping them up I went that route too. I'd have to redo the calculation to be sure but I think a building had to be in perfect condition for about two hours to earn back the inevitable repair bill. And with the scarcity of targets, the minute I repair my buildings I invite everybody to raid them. Maybe it'd be different with a thousand characters but as it stands, the only people who can afford to keep their buildings in good shape are the ones who are in no real danger of having them raided.

As such I suspect aschultz is headed all the way to victory, barring future changes or additions.

''Yes, yes...but apart from all that, Mrs Lincoln, how was the play?''

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (11:20 AM)

Actually, watch the bounty board and if you see me put a bounty on someone, keep killing that person to keep them off my back and I won't rob you in exchange.

How does that sound wolfqueen?

Kieran
Homosexuals

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (11:21 AM)

Good. I'm glad someone can rob and utterly destroy schultz. I swear - I think he put all his mercs into defense because I can't touch him in combat or in robbing. Having 90 helps, too, I'm sure.

But... that healing thing probably is a good thing because that ability to just rob everyone in minutes is just a bit ridiculous when you look at it. Sort of ruins the point of having the stuff repaired in the first place since it can just be destroyed again so easily.

But I agree; schultz is probably definitely going to win this, with how things are going now.

EDIT: I like that idea. I've killed sash for you yesterday. And maybe woodhouse, too. =D

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (11:24 AM)

I can kill both of you (and vince for that matter) in combat just fine. Actually against wolfqueen I occasionally manage to cause heavy injury but it's not enough and I get annihilated by the counterattack.

But I have no prayer of robbing either wolfqueen or schultz.

EDIT: hee, just when I thought I beat vince to killing me by attacking him exactly when the clock struck, he goes and heals himself and kills me right after. :P Well played.

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (11:25 AM)

The way robbing works for me, is that I use all my guts(I only have 6 points) robbing people. If I have ANY left over when killed, I heal, kill the person that killed me, then spend them all on robbing. If i'm at 1 or 0 and get killed, I wait to regenerate since that gives my guts time to replenish.

That's really the only reason i'm successful in doing so. It's ALL i'm doing, and I make sure all the factors for victory are in place before I start.

Edit: Well shit, that plan sort of backfired. Now all of schutlz's properties are at 20% and there's nobody left to rob.

Kieran
Homosexuals

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (11:35 AM)

Haha. He might repair his, though; he makes too much money not to. But it does lead to the qestion, what hapens if there's no one left to rob and never will be again because they all decided to just not repair their stuff? Something might havve to be done about that to balance it out more so people actually have an incentive to repair.... I dunno.

And our deal won't work if you just kill me anyway. =x

But sash is too weak right now and I need to go to class, so I guess it doesn't matter. XD

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (11:39 AM)

Sash just killed me while I was dealing with woodhouse >=(

Edit: I suppose it's far enough along now that I can say that people who said beasts were a bad class were definitely wrong as all hell.

Kieran
Homosexuals

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (11:54 AM)

I've looked at how well people purchasing developed properties are doing, and I firmly believe that even with the ridiculous robbing going on, they are the key to victory and keeping them as high as you can on condition is the prime way to do so.

So! In order to prove that i'm not just talking out of my ass, by the end of this cycle I will have properties that are going to be virtually un-robbable and I will do my best to keep them that way.

Unfortunately I can't even START trying to prove that for another 20 levels or so, so I hope the suspense doesn't kill you too much.

Kieran
Homosexuals

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: April 14, 2009 (12:19 PM)

Wolfqueen, I'm not some little child here trying to get his candy and annoyed because they don't have Butterfingers. Don't think I don't appreciate the work Jace has done on this game. But he's asked us to look at it seriously and try to make it better, so that's it's successful in the long run.

Damn right I'm going to be critical. I've played a lot of this browser games, ever since Archmage a good ten years ago, and I know what needs to be in place for people to enjoy them. You act like I'm whining and complaining when what I'm really doing is commenting on the failings of the current system.

There are problems. It can't be denied. To pretend that the beta-product is ready to ship is ridiculous. Such is not the way of beta. I'm sure Jace knows this, so don't get on my case when I point out the problems.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (12:25 PM)

I do believe the workaround allowing us to pick on lower level players was just patched. I only get an attack option from the actual Battle menu now.

Which means, of course, that vince can now attack me with impunity and I cannot retaliate. :P

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (12:30 PM)

As far as not being able to climb the ladder: I've been consistently killing people 30 and 50 levels above me starting at level 35. You need to pick your targets better, you need to pick your stat assignments better.

As far as the new patch: It's 10 levels in either direction, I can't even rob high level players now. My only option for a person to do ANYTHING to is shotgunnova and he owns no properties. I'm pretty much going to sob uncontrollably for hours now.

Edit: Nevermind, apparently robbing is open season and it's just attacking that is not.

Kieran
Homosexuals

board icon
Author: honestgamer (Mod)
Posted: April 14, 2009 (12:33 PM)

The patch was happening as you all were posting. It goes like this: you can neither attack nor rob anyone more than 10 levels above or below you. The range that you can attack is your 'sphere of influence.' I've also put in code so that if you somehow manage to find a way around clicking on links and try substituting variables to attack or rob someone outside of that range, it won't work. This should keep things a bit more even and give weaker players a better chance to advance unmolested (though the trick of picking on people extremely far ahead of you who were stupid about leveling up their characters is now gone, naturally).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (12:39 PM)

The only real flaw with your plan is that there's like 3 people who aren't in the 70-90 range.

Kieran
Homosexuals

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (12:43 PM)

It can't be helped. The game has to be designed to accomodate and cater to a decent-sized audience or it will never have one. Hopefully, we'll have more people joining over time and they will have friends. Right now, we seem to have hit our natural maximum anywhere, so most people who would be inclined to play from the HonestGamers crowd are already doing so and are somewhere in a sphere of influence from 60 to 80.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (12:51 PM)

What we need now, then, is more players. Get recruiting, people. :P I already dropped a mention of HGWars on my LJ, admittedly a small audience, but have to start somewhere.

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (12:52 PM)

Make sure that you include your refer_id when dropping the link, sashanan. You'll get more HG Points that way! ;-)

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (01:23 PM)

Would you consider letting lower level characters attack a hgiher level player, but if they do it gives the higher level player a 20 minute window where they have free reign over the lower level player who attacked them?

Kieran
Homosexuals

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (01:37 PM)

I considered it and I don't like it, vince. There are too many ways that it wouldn't quite work.

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (01:46 PM)

Hm... Did you fix that regeneration bonus thing where we were getting 2x energy while our browser was open (and I assume beasts and clerics were getting 2x health)? I rather liked that, haha, but I think you'd said it was only meant to work when you weren't actually on the game, but I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure.

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (01:49 PM)

It's bizarre, but I've found that keeping the HGWars running in the background for too long causes my computer to freeze. I got into a habit of popping on, doing my business and popping back offline while counting off the minutes for my energy (or if I'm on the warpath, my HP) to recover.

board icon
Posted: April 14, 2009 (01:53 PM)

Hm... Did you fix that regeneration bonus thing where we were getting 2x energy while our browser was open (and I assume beasts and clerics were getting 2x health)? I rather liked that, haha, but I think you'd said it was only meant to work when you weren't actually on the game, but I didn't say anything because I wasn't sure.

I changed it slightly, WQ. Thieves were set so that their energy regenerated at twice the normal rate, but that was too much for them considering the fact that they also don't have to pay to put gold in the vault and can see other characters' stats. The thief was basically guaranteed to win if played competently. Meanwhile, none of the bard's bonuses were as useful as that, so I transferred that skill over to the bard. The thief still has other bonuses, but only of the sort that are useful after five minutes or more away from the game.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04] [05] [06] [07] [08] [09]

Info | Help | Privacy Policy | Contact | Advertise | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998-2014 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party.Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors.