Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Suskie's Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars review

This thread is in response to a review for Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars on the DS. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: March 31, 2009 (03:51 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I have heard only glowing praise for this. Wish I had a DS.

Also, crazy idiot time: I never knew until this moment that Rockstar had a studio based right here in Leeds. Mad!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 31, 2009 (05:11 PM)

I, too, have heard that this is the best GTA since it made it's way to the PS2.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 31, 2009 (05:17 PM)

Good review Suskie. Not as fun as some of your other reviews, but it tackles the subject well.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: March 31, 2009 (07:04 PM)

Well, like I said, I think it's a stretch to say that Chinatown Wars is better than, say, GTA IV, but it's about as well-executed as you'd want it to be on DS. And thanks for the comments Zipp.

Edit: By the way, if any mods feel like making a very minor correction:

The plot, centered around a Chinese fellow named Huang Li who travels to America to investigate his father’s death, is the only unexpected victim.

His name is actually "Huang Lee." I know it's tiny, but it's bugging me.

MODEDIT: fixed'd

Thanks, Zig.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: March 31, 2009 (11:01 PM)

Yeah, good review. Haven't played a GTA game at all. It's not really my cup of tea, but I can at least see the points you make in this review.

I also agree that too many DS games do a terrible job of incorporating the stylus. I haven't played it yet, but I heard that for Zelda DS, you literally use the stylus to control Link instead of the actual control pad. Bad idea. -_-

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Posted: March 31, 2009 (11:15 PM)

I actually reviewed that too. Frankly, I'd lower the score to an 8/10 at this point due to repetition (which I was more forgiving of when I wrote this), but the touch screen controls were pulled off shockingly well -- and, again, actually incorporated as a key element in the game design itself.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: April 01, 2009 (01:03 AM)

I also reviewed that -- far more fittingly. Actually, the touch controls might have been the most solid thing about that game.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: April 01, 2009 (01:40 AM)

Hm. I would think it would be extremely awkward. Maybe I should pick that game up and see.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Posted: April 01, 2009 (06:41 AM)

Yeah, it could just be a matter of taste but I forgot to mention that EmP hated the game and actually mentioned that the touch screen control was fine.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than AABicesocaBab requested its removal.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.