Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > overdrive's Blue Dragon review

This thread is in response to a review for Blue Dragon on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: March 27, 2009 (01:14 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I actually expected you to enjoy this game more than you did, as you seem more forgiving of generic JRPGs than I am. I feel my earlier comments on the game may have given the wrong impression: I actually like JRPGs in general. The problem I have with JRPGs is that they can be excruciatingly dull if no effort is made to propel them and make them stand out amongst the crowded pack. I wouldn't quite label Blue Dragon "lazy" since it's the product of an obviously gifted team, yet no attempt was made to give the gameplay any distinguishing characteristics. When I was playing it, I kept thinking, "Haven't I played this, like, a million times before?"

And while the gameplay was boring, a compelling plot could have saved that. But I think it speaks volumes for how underwritten this series is when you consider that I've now played through two lengthy Blue Dragon games and still can't really distinguish the characters (other than Marumaro, whose characteristic is that he's annoying). It's one of those games where there's nothing explicitly wrong with it, but there's really nothing to like about it, either.

Anyway, this review pretty much summed up my thoughts with far more energy than I could ever actually muster for this game. Great job as usual.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 27, 2009 (01:25 PM)

Thanks.

Blue Dragon was just a funny game. I know what you mean. I spent a good 60-70 hours playing this game and can sum up every character in one word. Shu - Loud; Jiro - Quiet; Kluke - Girl; Maromaro - Annoying; Zola - Mysterious.

I was actually leaning towards a 6 for the review with a 7 if I really liked how it ended. And then got this final sequence where it seemed like every action anyone took was for the sole purpose of easily setting up the next thing that happens. I was just shaking my head in sad disbelief when the final boss was essentially created because a character casually took this orb with near-infinite magic power and casually tossed it away, allowing that one annoying little thing to absorb it.

I think I have more of a tolerance for these blah RPGs, but so many things could have done better here that I felt more disappointed than anything when I was done. Like, for me, the most attractive dungeon was that underwater cave you're in on the first disc on your way to the forest of the dead. The final dungeon......nonstop orange walls with lava all around. Almost as boring as the two optional mecha base dungeons that looked exactly the same. I did like the music most of the time, which was a high point. But most of the game was just blah. Not bad, but blah.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: March 27, 2009 (01:38 PM)

I think I made it to somewhere on the final disc before stopping, and most of the game was so forgettable that it's gone from my memory by now anyway. Like, I don't even remember that water dungeon you're talking about.

The music, by the way, was written by Nobuo Uematsu. I don't think anyone will deny he's one of the best in the business so that was obviously one of the game's highlights.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: March 27, 2009 (02:26 PM)

Excellent review. At times, I actually forgot it was a review and thought you were IM'ing me with your thoughts. In other words, very free-flowing style that really covered it all. I played through the first disc of this game before putting it down... that was, uh, with the Japanese import before the US version even came out. And I've never gotten around to picking it back up.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: March 27, 2009 (04:22 PM)

I get the feeling the extra difficulties were added because people complained about how easy the game was, so they delivered. :P

I've only just begun the game. Probably played about 20 mins so far, and I'm gonna put some time into it when I 100% Lego Star Wars.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: March 29, 2009 (04:20 PM)

Personally, I don't mind games that are on the easy side. I was wondering if this game is any good (don't own a X-Box 360).

In any event, I still think it's a good, well written review even though easy games don't really bother me. At least I'm getting a sense that the characters are a bit lacking in this game. I've read a lot of objections about Maru..whatever his name is.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: March 29, 2009 (04:26 PM)

I started playing it yesterday, and I find the easiness quite welcome. Too many challenging RPGs lately. I like 'em, but it's nice to have a pretty game that I can just sleepwalk my way through the battles. Lets me focus on the shadow skills, and that whole aspect seems quite cool.

The game looks very Dragon Quest-ish to me, too. The characters mostly.

I can avoid death by not having a life.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.