Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > RotW March 15 – 21, 2009

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: March 25, 2009 (07:47 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I’m afraid this is going to have to be a shorter RotW topic. If any of the three mentioned authors would like additional feedback on what I thought about their review, I will be happy to further explain myself in a few days when I’ll have more time to go in greater detail. However, I do thank all those who contributed for making this a competitive week.

As always, staff reviews are exempt and only one review per writer may get a nod.

2nd Runner-Up: Madworld (Wii) by Disco
As usual when reading a Disco review, I gain a clear picture of what’s going on and why the content in the game is either good or bad. This Madworld game looks and sounds intriguing, and Disco’s smooth writing helps to parallel the awesomeness that is conveyed through the images provided on the bar to the right of the review. However, for once I’d like to see him begin a review without beating around the bush in the intro. He’s beaten that one trick pony into the ground. Please, figure out a new way to start out your reviews!!!

1st Runner-Up: Wii Fit (Wii) by Jerec
It’s nice to see Jerec contributing on a regular basis now, what with this being his second of three reviews on the year. I think part of the reason why a review like this is so effective, at least from the standpoint of someone who would be interested in Wii Fit (that’s not me, but I can pretend), is that Jerec provides all the necessary information regarding how all the elements come together to form one lackluster package. All I care about is the quality of the game in question, not whether or not the author can solely make cute statements. This review answered all the questions I would have if I were interested in buying it, and Jerec’s even willing to admit that he received this game for the very reason it exists.

Review of the Week: Ultima: Quest of the Avatar (NES) by Dagoss
I don’t want to say too much since I’m judging this piece for the MMT, but I found the argument to be very intriguing. The conclusion sucks, but beyond that, I think this review is strong enough that we can just pretend that the last paragraph doesn’t exist because Dagoss is so passionate about what he’s saying for the first 15 paragraphs that that final one, if taken with a grain of salt, doesn’t do anything to make this review any worse than the other 9 or 10 quality reviews subbed this week. I will elaborate later as to why I dislike the final paragraph, but rest assured that in spite of its existence I still think this is the strongest user review of the week. So that’s gotta mean something, right?

EmP’s up next!

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: March 25, 2009 (08:02 PM)

Congrats to the winners! =D Especially dagoss, who's review I really liked and endorse, and Jerec for submitting content again - and good content at that.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: March 25, 2009 (09:33 PM)

Good job, each of you get spankings.

From Felix.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: jerec
Posted: March 25, 2009 (11:44 PM)

Thank you for that lovely comment. I felt I had to be honest about Wii Fit and why I was using it, because I think it might have undermined the review had I neglected to mention it. >_>

I can avoid death by not having a life.

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: March 26, 2009 (02:11 AM)

Good job, each of you get spankings.... From Felix.

Finally -- !

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Felix_Arabia
Posted: March 26, 2009 (03:11 PM)

. . .

I don't have to boost my review resume because I have a real resume.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.