Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > The Pretentious Bastards Competition

This thread has been locked by a moderator. No additional messages may be posted.

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04]

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: March 24, 2009 (07:48 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

So this is an idea I've been playing around with for a while, and with one competition drawing to a close and seemingly nothing coming up to take its place, now seems like the perfect time to do it.

I don't know how well this will resonate with people. Let's try it.

The one rule for this reviewing competition is simple: do not, under any circumstances, write a review.

Okay, so maybe it's not quite that simple. Let's explain.

You should, largely, base your piece on a single game. But this isn't about being analytical, looking at its pros and cons and objectively summarising. I want to hear about your experiences, your passions, your philosophies, that go hand in hand with your gaming life.

You should use your game of choice to form the basis of a wider argument, looking at issues surrounding gaming, or even issues specific to that game. You're not to get caught up in technical inconsistencies (unless that's your specific argument) or whether the graphics are up to scratch. I'm looking forward to seeing some deeply personal, though-provoking, games-related articles.

While I by no means want to plug my own work, by way of example, I'd point you towards the Red Faction article I submitted to Zipp's competition a while back. Not necessarily something exactly like that, but that's something that could fit nicely in with what this competition's about.

Obviously, I'll need a couple more judges. So feel free to offer your services if you don't fancy writing something along these lines.

Who fancies it? If it bombs, fair play, scrap it. But I hope it won't. No idea about deadlines - make reasonable suggestions.

And then, y'know. Let's go.

DO NOT POST ENTRIES AS STAFF OR FREELANCE REVIEWS. USER REVIEWS SECTION ONLY.

UPDATES:

Judges are:
Lewis
Zigfried
Zippdementia

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: March 24, 2009 (08:09 AM)

Haha, this sounds like exactly the kind of comp you'd think up. Count me in.

And while they're free to correct me if I'm wrong, I don't think the staff will have any objections to such pieces being subbed as reviews (as opposed to blog entries, etc.).

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than GrandRedxx requested its removal.

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: March 24, 2009 (12:35 PM)

I would like to reiterate the suggestion that Lewis made. If you're particiapating in this contest and you have staff clearance, please do not post your review as a staff or freelance review. This is a great opportunity for writers to experiment and evolve their writing into new territory, but it's not likely to produce the sort of content that we're specifically looking for from staff reviews (which have to appeal to a general audience more than they do an audience of review critics or essayists).

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Author: espiga
Posted: March 24, 2009 (01:07 PM)

I submit my Dragon Quest V review from a million years ago.

Your girlfriend's name ends in .jpg

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 24, 2009 (02:12 PM)

I'll either submit that Dead Space analysis I've been working on... or something else... or I'll judge. Can I hold off on declaring which for a little bit?

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than MartinaNeeson requested its removal.

board icon
Posted: March 24, 2009 (03:49 PM)

Take as long as you need, love.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: March 24, 2009 (05:22 PM)

I'll be sitting this one out for personal philosophical reasons, but I heartily approve. This is a fantastic idea, and this is exactly what I was hoping you'd do when I heard you were planning a contest. I'm really excited about reading the entries for this one.

I'd like to judge if you've got room for me.

//Zig

board icon
Author: bloomer
Posted: March 24, 2009 (09:49 PM)

I may write something. And I will take zero offense if HG wants it removed later for not being a real review :)

board icon
Posted: March 25, 2009 (01:41 AM)

Zig, you would be more than welcome as a judge.

"personal philosophical reasons" - how interesting. I find it intriguing that you would have personal objections to getting involved with something you support...

Not that it's my place to say anything, of course!

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: March 25, 2009 (02:14 AM)

So would something like this or this count? That's not to declare that I will be using either of those though.

board icon
Posted: March 25, 2009 (10:57 AM)

I think I want to judge this one. While I love the idea and will probably write a "review" to honor it, I think it would be even more fun to read all the entries and provide feedback for them.

So for now, I'd like to judge. If I write a review that I just fall in love with, I'll submit it and withdraw from judging. Sorry to be so wishy-washy. But my participation is gaurenteed in either case.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: overdrive (Mod)
Posted: March 25, 2009 (11:11 AM)

I just might have a game for this contest.

Or I might decide I'm not really all that into this concept when the time comes and just wind up being all like, "Screw dat!". Only time will tell.

I'm not afraid to die because I am invincible
Viva la muerte, that's my goddamn principle

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: March 25, 2009 (11:59 AM)

I echo overdrive's comments!

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Posted: March 25, 2009 (12:34 PM)

dagoss: the Half-Life one definitely would! That's exactly the sort of thing I'm on about.

Zipp: do you want me to put you down as a judge, then, or shall I leave the slot open 'til you decide?

board icon
Posted: March 26, 2009 (03:37 PM)

Go ahead and mark me as judge. I've got too many other reviews on my plate to any sort've "theme" right now.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than heplexulparie requested its removal.

board icon
Posted: March 27, 2009 (02:19 AM)

Done.

This message was administratively deleted because it did not adhere to site guidelines, or because a user other than IONINGHOFIPLE requested its removal.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: March 27, 2009 (02:37 AM)

Not writing reviews is my specialty. I'm in.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: dagoss
Posted: March 27, 2009 (06:40 AM)

I have a "review" in my head right now. This competition is the excuse I needed to post it -- as soon as I extract it from my head and convert it to some sort of communicable text, that is.

I'm actually looking forward to seeing what people post for this thing.

board icon
Author: True
Posted: March 27, 2009 (12:31 PM)

Hey, Lewis. I wrote a blog (the one Inspired By Suskie) recently. Maybe it will work, and there's no reason I can't spin that to talk about Sewer Shark directly to express my overall idea.

Can I use that?

If I Offended You, You Needed It.

board icon
Posted: March 28, 2009 (01:43 AM)

Use whatever you like :)

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: March 28, 2009 (07:49 AM)

This is interesting... I've been thinkng about it since you put it up (which is why I haven't said anything yet). I might try to write something for this, but what you're looking for really does go way beyond my usual style, so picking something to fit (and feel emotional enough about) would be tricky. Really, I've been having a lot of trouble even figuring out what to say in something like this let alone the appropriate game for it.

I've been talking to people, though, (mainly dagoss), and they've given me some idea... I think... We'll see how things go. Unfortunately, time's not my friend at the moment, with school and everything, so that'll just make things even more difficult.

I admire how you can handle that and all the 8 million other things you need to do. It's amazing.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

Additional Messages (Groups of 25)

[01] [02] [03] [04]

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.