Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > wolfqueen001's Zombies Ate My Neighbors review

This thread is in response to a review for Zombies Ate My Neighbors on the Genesis. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: March 22, 2009 (10:07 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

You get some kudos for even knowing what a boomstick is. Somehow, the idea of you watching horror films amuses me greatly.

Anyway, this is a decent review; a little clusmy at times, but it gets its point across clearly and is fun to read. Good job, you!

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: March 22, 2009 (10:26 AM)

I watch gory films. I've seen Gladiator! =D

Anyway, thanks again. I think I fixed everything you pointed out earlier, so I guess it's a little less clumsy now, I hope. I feel a bit better about the whole thing after doing that, but I still wish I could've made this one pure unadulterated awesome, but that's alright. I blame stress.

Haha. Funny story: I haven't seen an Evil Dead movie in at least two years. XD

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: randxian
Posted: March 29, 2009 (09:05 PM)

Heh, I've played the SNES version via emulator.

My only problem with the review is it seems to focus more on tips and tricks than actual opinions.

Other than that, reading this does give one a good feel for what the game is like.

Maybe you should write a FAQ for this game?

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Posted: March 29, 2009 (09:16 PM)

Heh. Thanks. You'll have to elaborate on the "opinions" thing, though, since I tend to prefer to tell people how I liked the game through the writing itself... instead of just saying "lol I liked / hated the game" directly. Granted, I know that with this review, the wriing itself was probably less expressive in that regard... and I didn't use any personal experience or anythinig, which I guess is where my opinion on the game actually comes from.

Anyway, hell no. I am NOT writing a FAQ for this game. No. Hahaha. That's way too much work... and the game can be played in so many different ways, really, there's no "Just one" right way.

Besides, Gamefaqs has a really awesome walkthrough already (as well as other lesser ones).

Honestly, I'm not too happy with this review anyway.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: March 29, 2009 (09:50 PM)

Heh. Thanks. You'll have to elaborate on the "opinions" thing, though, since I tend to prefer to tell people how I liked the game through the writing itself... instead of just saying "lol I liked / hated the game" directly

Okay, I suppose that does make sense. I know from personal experience, that sometimes it is harder to write reviews for games you like since you have to walk that fine line from simply describing the game to inserting opinions. It just seems so much easier to point out glaring flaws.

I still think it is a good review. It is descriptive enough to give someone who has never played the game before an idea of what the game itself is like. If nothing else, I'm glad you spend most of the time talking about the actual GAME PLAY. I get really, REALLY irritated when reviewers spend most of the review talking about graphics, storyline, and music, and just BARELY cover game play itself. I just felt at certain junctures, it teeters between description/opinions and tips/tactics.

Just my two cents though.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Posted: March 29, 2009 (11:06 PM)

Well, that point applies to games you don't like, too, really since you'd theoretically have to describe the game and insert opinions on why you hate it, where it might be easier to focus on the positives.

But yeah, I get your point. Anyway, with my writing, I just... write, I guess. I try to make the game sound fun (or awful) depending on how I feel about it, as well as give the relevant essentials. I dunno. My process is kind of complicated. I guess if I could summarize it, I'd say that I just try to tell people what I think is important, and try to do that in an interesting and useful manner.

Really, you could argue that everyone has an opinion regardless of how they express it because, well, you wouldn't be reviewing if you didn't. Like... it's really hard not to be biased about a game, and that's why you write about it the way you do.

I get really, REALLY irritated when reviewers spend most of the review talking about graphics, storyline, and music, and just BARELY cover game play itself.

That's an interesting point. However, I honestly think that what's included in the game depends on the game. For example, if the game is heavily story-based, where the game play is pretty simple (like with an RPG), then there's less need to describe it. I think that point is more appropriate for the graphics/sound/music thing, though... Because to me, unless those things are particularly outstanding, I won't even mention them. And reading that thing in other reviews all the time (especially by the same reviewer) just feels like it's forced in there to account for everything there is.

Still, with the more major ones like story / game play, etc depending on the game, you can review it without mentioning one thing or another if one of these things is particularly strong and the thing that makes the game stand out.

Anyway, thanks for the comments (and discussion). Just out of curiosity, have you reviewed elsewhere before? You're new to this site, I can see, but you seem like you've come from somewhere else since you seem to know what you like and don't like with some conviction.

board icon
Posted: March 30, 2009 (05:59 AM)

Ironically, the stuff that irritates me from reviews tends to apply toward "professional" reviews. (Heh. Yeah right.) A good deal of them spend gobs and gobs of time going on and on about how the game looks.

That's why I prefer reviews from casual fans. They tend to do a better job. Don't get me wrong; I like good graphics, but I don't want 90% of the review talking about it.

Actually, I did submit some reviews to this site a long, long time ago. I didn't realize this site still existed until recently. I think people take reviews here more serioulsy than GameFAQs, so I decided to start submitting here again.

But yeah, I have reviewed for various NES sites, GameFAQs, and a few here.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: March 30, 2009 (10:13 AM)

Actually, I did submit some reviews to this site a long, long time ago. I didn't realize this site still existed until recently. I think people take reviews here more serioulsy than GameFAQs, so I decided to start submitting here again.

Yeah, I was thinking that your name looked familiar to me. I'm glad that you found us again and I hope that we'll continue to see you around here more often. We definitely are more serious about reviewing here than the typical GameFAQs user--by far--but because of that there are fewer of us and we can use all of the productive regulars that we can get!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

board icon
Posted: March 30, 2009 (04:45 PM)

Yeah, I was thinking that your name looked familiar to me.

Just remember, I'm the guy who really got the pot stirred because of my Zelda: Wind Waker review. :D

But in all seriousness, I plan on perfecting my craft here some more. I found myself getting lax with submitting reviews on GameFAQs.

I'll probably do One Piece: Pirates Carnival next, which I also submited to GameFAQs. However, I'm going to completely rewrite it for this site, since my other one isn't all that great.

I CAN HAS CHEEZBURGER?

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.