Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > zigfried's Starflight review

This thread is in response to a review for Starflight on the PC. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: March 21, 2009 (06:54 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I was actually surprised to find out this was a review from Zig. When I noticed there was a new review on the front page, looked at the name of the title, and saw the image, I assumed it was either from EmP or maybe Overdrive.

Pretty good review, and very descriptive. Sounds really impressive for a game of its time. Since there were no screenshots to go along with the review, I really did have to along with your detailed descriptions of the game. This may be just me, a minor nitpick, but even after all of that, I'm still a little lost on how the game plays. Is it text heavy?

---

Off topic, I just noticed this at the bottom of all the staff reviews:

If you disagree with the contents of this review, you may click to leave feedback on our dedicated forum! Thank you!

Wha?

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: zigfried
Posted: March 21, 2009 (07:35 PM)

Screenshots will be forthcoming. I wasn't able to upload those from Panera's parking lot (they were closed and I didn't want anyone to drive up and ask why I was using my laptop in an empty parking lot).

It's a graphical game, pretty low on text except during conversations.

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Posted: March 21, 2009 (07:35 PM)

Screenshots will be forthcoming. I wasn't able to upload those from Panera's parking lot (they were closed and I didn't want anyone to drive up and ask why I was using my laptop in an empty parking lot).

It's a graphical game, pretty low on text except during conversations.

EDIT: my responses are so good I have to post them twice

EDIT^2: screens added, hopefully that helps

//Zig

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: March 21, 2009 (09:10 PM)

Yup, thanks.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: March 22, 2009 (03:20 AM)

I really enjoyed reading this review. It actually didn't bother me that there were no screenshots. Starflight sounds like the sort of game that is best explained by sharing your experience of the adventure and not through standard descriptions and images of the gameplay and visuals. But it does help when the reviewer's experiences are so interesting and eloquently worded! I suppose the point is that adventures like Starflight transcend their technical limitations through their creativity and imagination. That's definitely the impression I got after reading this review anyway.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 24, 2009 (10:17 AM)

I'm with pick that some brief mention of how it plays, worked into the descriptive story telling (such as "... so I typed in "fire all missiles" and watched the ships destroy each other) could've been helpful. Other than that, it's a great little review. The ending is slightly over-dramatic and requires Lord of the Rings music to play while reading for full effect, but I'll let it slide.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Posted: March 24, 2009 (04:54 PM)

Well, you play it pretty much like you'd expect to play any sci-fi RPG. Meaning, you press the directional buttons to move, pick commands from a menu to perform actions, etc. Same things you'd do with a modern sci-fi RPG.

Considering the game's age, I suppose it's a fair assumption that it might be a text adventure. But it's not.

So I guess I'm in a bit of a quandary. Some people assume the game's more primitive than it is... but for other people, including such details could result in confusion or stifled laughter. Example:

"King's Quest II is an imaginative adventure game. While wandering the countryside by pressing arrow keys, I stumbled across a cave, but not just any cave -- this was the abode of a nefarious, hook-nosed witch!"

The reader's likely response to such a passage would be, "why did he have to point out that he pressed the arrow keys?" To me, that kind of detail would come across as rather jolting (especially if screenshots are attached to the review, which they weren't when Pickhut posted his initial reaction).

Keep in mind, that doesn't mean I won't go back and make adjustments later. Just pointing out the other side of the coin. I do appreciate the feedback and will store it in my brain.

EDIT: In retrospect, The Bard's Tale would have been a better analogy since you actually do type out commands in the King's Quest games >_>

//Zig

board icon
Author: zippdementia
Posted: March 25, 2009 (11:04 AM)

It's a tough one, definitely. I struggle a lot lately with balancing technicalities with description. I like description better, I think it reads better, and an instruction manual can tell you how to play a game, but I also know that when looking to buy/play a game, I want to have some idea of how it plays before I jump in, and it's good for reviews to have that kind of information.

Note to gamers: when someone shoots you in the face, they aren't "gay." They are "psychopathic."

board icon
Author: humorguy
Posted: November 22, 2010 (03:35 PM)

Excellent game and excellent review! Kudos! Now you need to
check Star Control 2 or the freeware Ur-Quan Masters,
Protostar: War on the Frontier and even Reunion and Alien Legacy.

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: November 23, 2010 (03:13 AM)

I fucking love this game.

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.