Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > EmP's Gears of War 2 review

This thread is in response to an article about on the . You are encouraged to view the article in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: March 16, 2009 (06:23 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

A much better summary of the Gears 2 experience than mine. Every bone in your body screams "this should be shit." But then you carry on playing, and love every minute.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: wolfqueen001
Posted: March 16, 2009 (08:09 AM)

Eh. It's a good review, sure, but I still don't believe the argument. It's just way too negative for me to believe that it was as good as he eventually ends up sayiing it is (and with the score more than anything else in the review. Without it, I would've thought he considered it merely average). The most positive comes in the last paragraph with anything else mentioned being nullified by a swarm of negative counterpoints.

Anyway, dunno why I'm reiterating myself here. I already told him how I felt about this on AIM. =/

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: March 16, 2009 (08:21 AM)

This is so nitpicky I don't even know why I'm mentioning it, but is the image of the B button really necessary? Is there no reason why you can't just say, you know, B?

Anyway. This is definitely a well-written review but I'm afraid I need to agree with WQ on its tone; even an 8/10 would be understandable, but apparently you think this is a really terrific game and your negative points are too overwhelming to make it convincing enough. I guess this one is better viewed as an expansion of your glowing review for the original Gears, where you're saying, "It's still awesome, BUT..."

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: EmP (Mod)
Posted: March 16, 2009 (09:10 AM)

That B button was awesome. You're all just bitter that I did it before you did.

This was an unapologeticaly selfish review that I wrote out in the odd chance that EmP v2 is living out there somewhere and he's not yet played GoW2. I figured that we already had several good reviews for the game onsite, so I could afford to do something more personal. As such, I fully expected it to not vibe well with everyone, especially WQ who hates anything I wrote post 2007.

I felt like GoW2 drops the ball in so many place when compared to the first (whose 10/10 I still stand behind) that it needs pointing out yet, at the same time, the game clearly rocks. Maybe I should add in more praise, but it's already a little longer than I wanted it to be.

I shall give this Thought.

For us. For them. For you.

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2009 (09:51 AM)

...especially WQ who hates anything I wrote post 2007.

Yes - that's why I generally do enjoy and take no issues with the majority of your reviews, your Quake III review's my favorite review from you of all time, I loved your Alisia Dragoon review, and it's especially why I gave your Blackiste review a 92 in the last tourney. Yup. Lots of hate there. XD

Anyway, the fact that it's personal isn't the problem; it's the overwhelmingly unconvincing argument that's the problem. Nothing wrong with the review being personal.

And yes, that B button was awesome.

[Eating EmP's brain] probably isn't a good idea. I mean... He's British, which means his brain's wired for PAL and your eyes are NTSC. - Will

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2009 (10:23 AM)

Before this turns into a list of awesome EmP reviews and becomes the longest topic known to man, I'll specify what I mean.

The argument itself was what was personal, as in it's exactly what I would have wanted someone to say to me post-GoW2 purcahse. I would have wanted to be told "You know what? The first Gears is better. Gears 2 has no Krill, no Beserkers, the end boss is pure crap and the guy who replaces RAAM is about as manly as that time you were stuck in that chat with VM and WQ where they gossiped about lip gloss and who the cutest member of N*Sync was. But it's still awesome." Nowhere else gave this arguement, so I did it myself.

I figure I can funnel my audience like that because this is the forth review of the game we have up.

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2009 (10:33 AM)

I think that's actually totally reasonable. I did something similar with my BioShock review, where I basically said, "Look, there are a thousand praise reviews out there, and yes, the game IS good, so here's what you should know going into it." That said, I consider justifying a 9/10 much more difficult than an 8/10, but I see where you're coming from, EmP. Also,

Razorhail > Krill

Though fair point about the final boss, whom I can't believe I never mentioned in my own review of the game. I remember Game Revolution saying that a five-year-old could beat him blindfolded, but I never imagined it would be literally true.

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2009 (12:58 PM)

There is no way the razorhail is anywhere near as cool as the Krill. For one, why can Razorhail instantly kill hardened marines with foot-deep amour who shurg off bullets, grenades and explosive-tipped arrows, but is rendered completly ineffectual by rickity wooden shacks?

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2009 (01:19 PM)

Am I the only one to notice that the Gears don't have anything protecting their heads? That can't help.

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2009 (03:46 PM)

I'm pretty sure their beefy heads are more solid than rotten wooden beams.

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2009 (03:53 PM)

...that chat with VM and WQ where they gossiped about lip gloss and who the cutest member of N*Sync was.

This... didn't happen. DIDN'T HAPPEN, I SAY! No. N*Sync is awful. We'd never talk about N*Sync. I mean, God. They're not even in synch like their title suggests.

You're a terrible liar.

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2009 (04:08 PM)

Don't deny the lip gloss though, eh?

board icon
Posted: March 16, 2009 (04:20 PM)

Liek, no way. We so totally don't like talk about make up and fashion and stuff.

But liek OMG, Justin Timberlake is like sooo hawt. He's like the cutest guy ever!

Ugggh.....

*throws up*

board icon
Author: WilltheGreat
Posted: March 16, 2009 (11:15 PM)

*gets a mop*

"Either, sir, you're an ass or masquerading as one."
- Nero Wolfe

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 17, 2009 (12:06 PM)

I'm partial to JT myself.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.