Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > Lewis's F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin review

This thread is in response to a review for F.E.A.R. 2: Project Origin on the Xbox 360. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 05, 2009 (10:51 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

This isn't only the best review I've read from you (and I've read quite a few), it's just about flawless. Kudos. I learned everything I needed to know and your delivery was slick, your transitioning, seamless. It's not often an author can wield deft analysis and polished prose both. You've done it here.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: Lewis
Posted: March 05, 2009 (11:54 AM)

:| Wow, thank you! I actually wasn't sure what I made of this review. So that's very good, if surprising, to hear!

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: March 05, 2009 (12:31 PM)

This actually makes me want to play FEAR 2.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Posted: March 05, 2009 (12:36 PM)

What an odd reaction...

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: March 05, 2009 (12:43 PM)

I know. Perhaps I should play the original instead. Is the 360 port any good?

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Posted: March 05, 2009 (12:49 PM)

I have no idea. Only played that on the PC.

Fear 2 probably is the stronger game, aside from the melée, but a lot has changed in four years, y'know?

board icon
Author: draculasrevenge
Posted: March 05, 2009 (01:21 PM)

The 360 port crashed a few times on me, but it's good otherwise.

I seem to be alone in liking FEAR.

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: March 05, 2009 (07:41 PM)

the 360 port would have been perfect were it not for the fact that some of the (RIDICULOUSLY HARD) achievements are bugged. that and the fact that you can only save at/restart from checkpoints, but they're placed really arbitrarily. didn't matter on the PC, but it hurts the 360 version.

haha, even you don't like FEAR 2 Lewis! I've heard nothing but "eh" about it, maybe I'll check it out when it comes way down in price.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: hmd
Posted: March 05, 2009 (07:48 PM)

I played the demo for this and laughed at it. So hard. Man it was really bad amateurish shit. You'd think that with so many first person shooters around to glut up the creative spirit or whatever the fuck, that at least this game would at least handle shooting things well. And of course it fucking doesn't because christ enemies don't even notice me even after I've killed half their buddies and somehow shotgunned a ghost to death. I don't know. And the whole time I was thinking about the lead designer going on his blog and talking shit about Call of Duty again, like when the first Fear came out. This is also the same lead designer who worked on the Street Fighter the Movie game featuring a silent, digitized Jean Claude Van Damme.

board icon
Author: hmd
Posted: March 05, 2009 (07:54 PM)

In other words I think Alan Noon is a piece of shit who should probably not do this sort of thing anymore.

"So with heavy heart, I now realize that this Street Fighter is not for me. The game play is geared for a style of play different than I would have liked to have seen. I guess I am old school, but I miss the days where victory depended on your knowledge of the priority, timing, and ranges of each character's move set. Used to be that if you knew that, you could win without ever throwing a hadoken. Now a days, standard moves are marginalized, and spamming specials, supers, and ultras is the path to victory. Sorry, just not for me."

"After that, if Street Fighter 4 drops to a price that justifies its quality level, I suppose I shall hadoken once again."

"Noby Noby Boy (PS3)

[video]

That, apparently is game play. I am dead serious. What do you expect though? It is by the same guy that created Katamari Damacy, another title I despise."

no really fuck this guy and his derivative fuck games.

board icon
Posted: March 06, 2009 (12:28 AM)

Wow. Someone is angry.

Susprised at your claims that Fear 2 doesn't get "the gameplay" right. It's anything but amateurish, for me. I found the AI to be nothing but stunning throughout (and remember that your enemies are pre-programmed, brainwashed grunts who are designed not to care about anything but killing the opposition).

Aside from that, it should be pointed out that John Mulkey was the lead designer on Fear 2. Alan Noon had no involvement at all. Am I missing a link, or did you just fancy ranting about something else as well?

board icon
Author: Halon
Posted: March 08, 2009 (08:22 AM)

Great review! This states pretty accurately how I felt about the first game. Since this one is supposed to be worse I'll definitely pass.

IF YOU WANT MORE BEATS FOR YOUR BUCK THERE'S NO LUCK.

board icon
Posted: March 08, 2009 (10:20 AM)

"Great review! This states pretty accurately how I felt about the first game. Since this one is supposed to be worse I'll definitely pass."

It's not worse as such. Stand them side by side and Fear 2 might even come out on top. But the FPS genre underwent some pretty serious changes in the last few years, for the better. And Fear 2 ignores them all.

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.