Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Contributor Zone > Review of the Week: Feb. 22-28

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 05, 2009 (05:59 AM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

It's RotW time! Actually it was RotW time days ago, but never mind that. A tip of my cap to those mentioned below, and away we go.

Review of the Week
Sonic's Ultimate Game Collection by Janus

I've already gone on about what I loved about Janus's review in his feedback topic, but I'll reiterate here. The review flows like stream-of-consciousness writing, in any easy, conversational way, but really Janus brings great authority to the content. He doesn't waste time with fancy intros -- just gets down to the business addressing the HD-enhanced graphics misnomer, the inevitable whining by Genesis fans about what DIDN'T make it to the disc, nostalgia and the appeal of the more obscure games. He's done a really masterful job with a compilation -- the hardest thing of all to review.
Second Place
Skies of Arcadia by Cornwell

Cornwell's work always fares well in my RotW's and this week is no exception. Skies of Arcadia is just about perfect, boasting good flow, smooth transitions, and a convincing exploration of the author's thesis: great games can be derivative. Oh, and flying boats kick ass. Kudos.
Quest 64 by Suskie, and DJ Max Portable Emotional Sense by Woodhouse earn a tie for Third Place. Suskie delivers his usual impeccable prose, expertly dissecting the universally panned N64 RPG, thereby providing a greater depth of the "whys" of it all than we are probably accustomed to. Woodhouse, who is known for his detailed analysis, writes a shorter review than usual with a great hook to reel us in before the cogent breakdown begins.

That's all folks!

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: Suskie
Posted: March 05, 2009 (07:21 AM)

Thanks for the mention and congrats to Janus and everyone else.

You exist because we allow it. And you will end because we demand it.

board icon
Author: dementedhut
Posted: March 05, 2009 (07:22 AM)

Even though I did not submit a review for this week, I will appear in this topic to stroke everyone's egos!

Congratulations to Janus on his RotW placing. He wrote a very interesting review of a compilation game, which is a tricky thing to do. And good job to the rest of yous! Keep up the good work.

I head spaceshit noises.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: March 05, 2009 (11:29 AM)

Thank you masters. I spent a lot of time redrafting this one, so I'm glad that you enjoyed the finished review. Congrats to Cornwell, Suskie and Woodhouse, too. Even though there were only three other reviews last week, they were all good reads.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: Masters (Mod)
Posted: March 05, 2009 (01:14 PM)

See, that's the thing. When something reads as well as your review did, it doesn't seem as if it took much effort to write. It reads as if you're just a super smart guy with personality talking about the compilation, almost casually.

Oh, and there were more reviews than that; somebody named something-or-the-other electronics submitted three.

I don't have to prove I'm refined - that's what makes me refined!

board icon
Author: honestgamer
Posted: March 05, 2009 (01:39 PM)

Good RotW! I definitely agree with Masters on who won this week, too. That review really was great, easily one of the best compilation reviews I've ever read. Good job to everyone else that placed, as well!

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought." - John F. Kennedy on reality

"What if everything you see is more than what you see--the person next to you is a warrior and the space that appears empty is a secret door to another world? What if something appears that shouldn't? You either dismiss it, or you accept that there is much more to the world than you think. Perhaps it really is a doorway, and if you choose to go inside, you'll find many unexpected things." - Shigeru Miyamoto on secret doors to another world2

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.