Patreon button  Steam curated reviews  Discord button  Facebook button  Twitter button 
3DS | PC | PS4 | PS5 | SWITCH | VITA | XB1 | XSX | All

Forums > Submission Feedback > draculasrevenge's Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence review

This thread is in response to a review for Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence on the PlayStation 2. You are encouraged to view the review in a new window before reading this thread.

Add a new post within this thread...

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: March 04, 2009 (11:35 PM)
Actions: Register for a free user account to post on the forums...

I had originally posted this in your blog but I figure Venter will get me some drugs if I help drum up submission feedback board activity:

cool review, even if you stole my way of killing the fear. >:0

though I do have to disagree with one thing. if there's anything I hate about the MGS stories, it's their presentations. MGS3 had an awful translation, the dialog felt incredibly clunky to me. especially The Boss'. these games do get kind of trashed too harshly around these parts but I still don't quite understand how you can feel anything but ambivalence for them; something like MGS2 has moments of fucking brilliance the likes of which Irrational wish they could come up with, mixed with bisexual ninja vampires and the main villain having a Doc Ock suit. if anything, the stories don't take themselves seriously enough.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: draculasrevenge
Posted: March 05, 2009 (01:14 AM)

I never felt the same "cringe factor" from MGS3 that I did from the previous two. But I agree, 2 had the coolest stuff, especially all the pseudoscientific genetic and digital things. Raiden/Rose though, ugh.

Your Fear idea was too good to leave out. It's an homage to your brilliance.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: JANUS2
Posted: March 05, 2009 (11:57 AM)

I liked the way you focused on the boss battles. Looking back, they were pretty damn unique and engaging. They were actual epic contests, unlike Ninja Gaiden II's pathetic bosses who fall to their knees after a couple of eclipse scythe combos.

"fuck yeah oblivion" - Jihad

board icon
Author: draculasrevenge
Posted: March 05, 2009 (01:24 PM)

Yeah, the boss fights made the game really special, especially when you compare them to other Metal Gear games.

I never play MGS 2 on expert because I dread the bossfights. They require twitch reflexes and perfect timing. Even defeating Olga near the beginning drives me mad.

Not sure how to make a sig? While logged into your account, you can edit it and your other public and private information from the Settings page.

board icon
Author: bluberry
Posted: March 05, 2009 (07:43 PM)

the trick to at least half of them, especially Vamp and the Harrier jet, is that you have i-frames when you're climbing up/down from ledges. so like if the Harrier is about to shoot a bunch of missiles at you, time it so that you're flipping over the railing as they hit.

but Olga and the Metal Gear RAY army really do just require insane skills, haha. you have to fight 20 RAYs and they kill you in like two hits even with the body armor on.

Oh no, it's a Goomba!

board icon
Author: Probester
Posted: March 05, 2009 (07:46 PM)

I actually thought the boss fights took a lot away from the game. They were just too sci fi for me.

Zombie Survivor Journal: On hiatus, site nonsense scrapped

User Help | Contact | Ethics | Sponsor Guide | Links

eXTReMe Tracker
© 1998 - 2024 HonestGamers
None of the material contained within this site may be reproduced in any conceivable fashion without permission from the author(s) of said material. This site is not sponsored or endorsed by Nintendo, Sega, Sony, Microsoft, or any other such party. Opinions expressed on this site do not necessarily represent the opinion of site staff or sponsors. Staff and freelance reviews are typically written based on time spent with a retail review copy or review key for the game that is provided by its publisher.